• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Pink Panther

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
That’s the plan. I need to get things moving and get her hauled and surveyed.
We purchased a one-owner boat. As the PO aged, things got neglected. Normal human tendency. How did my kids get to be in their 30's?!?! The old electronics here make me curious whether other things were not kept up. Leaks get worse, soles decay, fuel tanks leak, decks sponge, hoses rot, etc. All things that can go unnoticed because they happen so slowly. Definitely not a reason to pass on the boat, but perhaps a driver for extra scrutiny during survey and resolve in price negotiation.
Good luck!!

Anzac

Member II
BE2F9025-D69B-4D3D-B9EF-2D94FE0081AF.jpeg
Took this picture today while on Pink Panther. This is just behind the anchor locker under a panel. Not sure where the water is coming from. This was the only major issue I found today.

Anzac

Member II
C79D0CE0-F1BA-44AD-A018-D8FF099E776B.jpeg
Maybe someone can decode these numbers. While is was there I checked the water intake hose and it looked good.

Anzac

Member II
5EE17232-E456-4C65-8136-2FA88C1AF4AB.jpeg
The floor starboard side. Looks like some water damage. The mast area looked okay but I could not pry up the inspection panels to check the keel.

Jerry VB

E32-3 / M-25XP
Maybe someone can decode these numbers.
ERY34279I889 - note that the letter between the "9" and the "8" is an upper case "i", not the digit "1". For HINs, the serial number is 34279, but boat manufacturers, including Ericson, typically use the boat length (34) as the first two digits of the serial number and the next three digits as the hull number.

ERY = Ericson Yachts Inc (Out of Business)
34 = Length
279 = Hull number
I8 = Manufactured September 1988
89 = Model year 1989

Ref:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
View attachment 46321
Took this picture today while on Pink Panther. This is just behind the anchor locker under a panel. Not sure where the water is coming from. This was the only major issue I found today.
I assume that is the small locker underneath the V birth cushions. If so, check the aft, starboard leg of the bow pulpit to see if water might be leaking in from there, and then through the headliner and down.

Anzac

Member II
Thanks Alan.

Yes, this is under the v berth cushions - the forward most compartment under a panel. I noticed that the headliner zipper was opened and the foam material felt a little wet.

Traveler7

Member II
Looks like a go anywhere boat! Will keep up with this, if I get the 32 maybe we can share boat labor and help each other out! Community!!!

Pete the Cat

Member III
On the whole, what I see here, this does not look like a terribly maintained Ericson example. Seems very fixable. Ericson did not make the pulpit and stanchion bases easy to access, but they were major sources of leaks on my boat. The hatches are easily removed and rebedded with butyl tape. Your engine and drive train looks like someone took care of it at one recent time. No sign that old school stuffing box is a problem---I have a personal preference for this arrangement.. I would probably want to remove the raw pump / heat exchanger/ and elbow for inspection and service as a priority. FWIW.

Anzac

Member II
Thanks Pete the Cat or Ray :) Yes, this is supposed to be an original owner boat. Always on the Columbia River so fresh water is a plus. As you can see, it looks like a snapshot of 1988. Even some of the electrical equipment under the starboard lazarette says "Made in Western Germany. Lets hope it all still works.

I will have the boat surveyed and have them check for leaks now I know more of what's going on. The stuffing box should be fine and easy to re-pack if needed. The broker told me the owners come down often to the boat to hang out and maybe take her for a sail. They are advancing in years so it needs to go to the next owner who will take care of her.

windblown

Member III
Although some instruments and electronics may look like museum pieces, there is a real advantage to a single PO and original equipment: you probably don't have the crazy mystery wires that have been run and abandoned for a variety of upgrades or custom electronics that were installed by multiple owners with varying levels of skill or experience. As one skipper noted here, you really don't need a wind instrument to tell you how hard the wind is blowing or where it's coming from. I wouldn't go up the Columbia without a depth sounder, though. The sand bars shift too often. Although time consuming (and not inexpensive), rewiring the DC Panel, removing the infamous trailer plugs, running a new NMEA backbone, and installing new transducers and instruments is one of the more satisfying and, IMHO, one of the easier tasks to do yourself. One joy of boat ownership is that it provides an opportunity to acquire tools, and the tools really do make the tasks possible. Once you have the right tool, and have used it once, you probably want need it again for years, but someone on the dock will. . .
The documentation provided here for projects on our boats is immensely helpful. From electricians and aviators, you will find examples of some electrical work that is pure art. Others of us have built systems that will stand the test of time (another 35 years?!), but we learned some things the hard way, and the end product is anything but elegant. Still, she sails just beautifully.
Tradewinds has always been a fresh water boat, too, and I believe that adds years to many parts of the boat, especially the metals that suffer from the long-term effects of salt and galvanic corrosion.
Looking forward to hearing how the survey goes!

Anzac

Member II
92F6FFAB-B216-41F2-934D-A7040D61DFFD.jpeg
Some of the components inside the starboard lazarette. At least it looks original and nobody has been goofing around in here.

Anzac

Member II
9C1C131D-9E91-4FB9-97B5-0715E5456A11.jpeg
Not many outside shots so here we go. She has a nice cockpit and even an external shower starboard side lazarette. At least that’s what I think that faucet body is for.

Last edited: