• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

placement of engine tach on E35-2

steven

Sustaining Member
My 35-2 has what looks like the original engine starter panel in the helmsman's cockpit well on the starboard side. A tachometer is also in the well but it is mounted on the rear bulkhead facing forward (i.e., under the helsman's seat on the star. side). The tach is completely unreadable there (except with a mirror or by standing on your head - both of which have some drawbacks). Has anyone come up with a better place to put it?

--Steve

Lucky Dog

Member III
Assuming your referring to a Atomic 4

Tachometer placement. I have a similar situation. After reading as many “posts” and articles I am moving the tachometer inside closer to the engine. Still debating placement with the instrument panel or in the engine compartment. My reasons, based on others – Less holes in the cockpit is better; The tachometer wiring carries a large electromagnetic field that can interfere with sailing instrumentation; The tachometer is mostly needed for tuning the RPM’s with the spark timing and with the size of a prop. Several websites suggest using a hand held for engine and prop tuning.

If I may my added questions is why is the marine industry so limited (or expensive) to have dual gauges for water temp and oil psi?

Last edited:

chtaylor

Member II
I can't speak with any specificity as to the E35; but, on my E32-2, I recently installed a tach right below the engine control panel in the cockpit. It's fairly easy to see while driving and the wiring was easy to run.

Charles

Last edited:

Bud H.

Member II
Our 35-2 didn’t have a tach. Maybe because it has an A-4 gas engine instead of a diesel. I put it on the forward wall of the cockpit on the port side next to the passageway, under the depth and knot meter. Easy to see and easy to install.

Bob Neumann

Steve,

A 2" diamter tachometer is available from Moyer Marine. I installed it on the starboard side of the helmsman's well with the other gauges. The display is well sized and easily readable in this location.

Bob Neumann - Anacortes, WA
E35-2

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
A 2" diamter tachometer is available from Moyer Marine. I installed it on the starboard side of the helmsman's well with the other gauges. The display is well sized and easily readable in this location.

Agreed. I took out the battery voltage meter in the ignition panel, as it lacked the resolution to be useful, for the tachometer.

Does anyone know a source for a 2" tach that reads at diesel rpms?

GAreth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

LarryBud

LarryBud
Tach placement on 35-2

On my 35-2 the tack is on the forward wall of the helmsman's well, next to the engine panel. It is readable, although I wouldn't call it easy to read.

steven

Sustaining Member
Larry,

On the forward wall of the helmsman well I have an engine hour meter. Can't read that either.

so it's either a big tach at the bulkhead (where I can open a hole by vacating a deprecated depth sounder) or the Moyer two incher in a more readable place in the well.

just as soon as I figure out what to do with the old instrument holes . . .

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Do you have a gasoline engine? If so there is another option..... There is a product called "Tiny Tach" Its a small digital tach that can be mounted anywhere, is waterproof, is self powered and only a sense wire to hook up. I have used them on Hovercraft and they work great. They run about $30 and can be ordered with extra long sense wire so you can put it anywhere you want.

RT

Emerald

Hi Steve,

you might want to make some teak pads to adapt a hole to the new instrument. Here's a picture from an E-27 I had a few years back. The two Raymarine instruments here were mounted on pads to deal with round holes where the old ones came out.

Rob's idea on the Tiny Tach is also good. They now have a diesel version as well. Check here:

http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/index.php

Attachments

• cockpit.jpg
    cockpit.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 83