• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Polars for 30+

Wondering if anyone has created polars for their Ericson 30+ or if anyone has thoughts about what boat might be a close approximation.

Just installed new wind instruments and the Raymarine MFD has the ability to load polars but not sure to use.

As an alternative, does anyone have a sense of the best upwind and downwind tacking angle targets? I know that it varies a bit with wind speed but am figuring most of my sailing/racing is done in around 10-15 knots.

Thanks.

eknebel

Member III
I have beer can raced against Pearson 30's, and with sails in similar condition, found them pretty equal, except close hauled. I have a shoal keel, so can't point as high, and so I crack off a little, and hope to keep the vmg similar. Thus, I typically tack thru 95-100 degrees upwind, starting to reef using a 145% at around 12-14 knots.
Downwind, i find it works well to keep the wind forward of the stern. I don't recall the angle, but my guess is about 90 degrees(no spinnaker).

The Molly Ann

Member I
I’ve been searching for the same information as I’m looking into the new Axiom MFD. do you have photos of the installation? Could love to see how it looks on the boat. Did you upgrade transducers as well?

I will try to upload some pictures. It looks great and works well. The only thing I had working before was depth. Wind and speed were not working. I did a complete refit of the electronics over the winter. It was a fairly big job. Included:

1. Removing old speed transducer - the thru-hull diameter was different than any new units. That required me to grind out the hull around the old thru-hull and repair/fiberglass/fair/paint. I them drilled for a new thru-hull and put in one of the new Airmar DST transducers which can be calibrated by bluetooth through your phone. That model is important because you can't calibrate the other Airmars with the Axiom.

2. Cut the wires to the other old transducers (I had depth and temp). I should have removed them and repaired the hull but will do that next winter.

3. Removed the old instrument displays from the cockpit bulkhead. I then had to repair the three round holes (depth, speed, wind) with fiberglass. Because of the hole repair, I had to paint the cockpit/companionway bulkhead and used that as an opportunity to address other screw holes. I wasn't thrilled with the paint job and would spend more time thinking through that next time.

4. Then cut a hole for the Axiom MFD (left of the companionway) and mounted. I bought the 9" Axiom+

The electronics are all N2K connected. The only wire that was a pain to pull was for the DST because the connection points for the network are all the way back at the chart table. I put a B&G wireless wind instrument on the mast head and mounted the receiving unit for it the cabin near the chart table. All the electronics seem to play well together. I have an old Raymarine autopilot that is connected. Although you can get magnetic compass data from the AP to the MFD (needed to capture true wind) through the raymarine cable that connects the 2, you can't get the wind direction data into the AP that way. To address this, I also put an N2K to NMEA 1083 converter onto the network and connected that to the AP through an NMEA hookup. That allows me to set the AP to hold a constant angle to the wind. I worked out all of the network connections and verified before I put everything in place.

I debated about the display on the bulkhead vs at the wheel but decided the visibility was good enough either way and figured I could put an old iPad at the wheel with the Raymarine app to control/view the MFD. At the bulkhead, the rest of the crew get to see the display which is pretty helpful for racing. I also didn't want to have to pull new cables through the wheel setup.

Overall, I'm really happy with the electronics package including the display. Probably costs more than I should have put into the boat. It's the first time I've sailed with wind instruments and I've found it pretty helpful in optimizing my speed to windward and downwind speed. The Axiom gives a lot of flexibility and it took me some time to set up the displays I wanted.

Hope that helps.

The Molly Ann

Member I
Awesome thanks for the info! I’ll have to look at my old transducers. I was also looking at the DST from Airmar. What made you go with B&G wind gauge? Raymarine sells a pack with the airmar, and wireless wind I was thinking about. Also comes with a wireless remote that could be pretty cool to mount somewhere. I have a new raymarine autopilot by the wheel so hoping to do a Navpod at the wheel to replace all the gauges and then mount a i70 at the nav station for below deck monitoring of all systems.

also… any luck tracking down polars?

here’s our cockpit, taken this weekend over at Catalina this weekend on a week long cruise around the island here in So Cal.

DB5D4009-3D91-40FD-A0E0-4EB10CEDCDF5.jpeg