• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Polish and wax (?)

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
when I first purchased my boat , I had the hull /deck polished and waxed . It was kind of expensive but it looked nice afterwards and added some slip appeal for me in terms of pride of new ownership.
The detailer reminded me that it’s been a year and was wondering if I’d like to have it done again . The process takes him two days working alone . I’m contemplating whether I should do this myself or have it done . Honestly, I prefer other boat projects, so it’s really just a matter of saving money . I could probably buy a small inflatable tender at WM for the cost of the job . Does anyone polish / wax their boat on a regular basis ? Have you compared time / effort to do yourself vs pay someone? I don’t have a power buffer , so I’d have to buy one and any adapter cables needed to power it from the slip shore power outlet . I’m guessing I still need a dingy to do parts of the hull from the water .

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I always do my own polish, wax, etc. I don't like using a power tool around the water, so I do it by hand, and the boat looks great. I usually do an extra wax at 6 months, but polish is not needed that often. I only do polish if there are stains, otherwise it's a cleaner wax, followed by a wax. I do it in stages - - cabin top one day, cockpit another day, another for one side of the hull, and then the other side another day, not consecutively, just when weather is suitable and I feel like it, but it does get done.
That saves me a ton of money.
Frank

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
When I first got Makana, paid a pretty well known local company to come out and do a full job on topsides and cabin-house. Paid them a lot of money and, frankly, wasn't that impressed with the job they did.

The next time, I did the whole routine from MaineSail's blog myself - bought all the right cutters and compounds and waxes and buffing pads. Spent almost a week doing it. Loved the result, but at a big cost of time.

Since then... I do it a little at a time, and by hand. I love 3M's "marine cleaner and wax" (their part-number 09010 in the quart-size bottle). Easy to use, cleans up oxidation and stains very easily, and leaves a nice wax behind. If properly motivated I can do the entire hull in a few hours...including suitable breaks for motivational hydration....

1911tex

Sustaining Member
K2MSmith: I simply can't afford to throw $$ at someone else to do what aggravates me to do, but do it anyhow if I can't coerce my kiddos into it. No way getting around this job.

I mentioned this before....have used RejeX which was recommended to me by aviation mechanics long ago...used on my aircraft, cars, and my Ericson. You can't put it over wax or polish or it won't last long. Directly on paint, metal or fiberglass/gelcoat and it will bond. It is a reactive chemical coating/sealant. Great stuff! I buy it direct from U.S. Corrosion Technologies. Google it and read the label. Your local county airport may stock it. Hope this helps some.

Slick470

Member III
if you are contemplating doing this yourself, this is really worth a read through as a primer https://www.sailnet.com/threads/tips-for-compound-polish-wax.52772/

I used this guide as a starting point for what I do on my boat. I don't quite go to the levels he does, but the tips and lists of products that he uses are worth reviewing. None is that hard, but it can be a decent amount of effort. Like usual with boat stuff, maintenance is easier than overhaul, so if your detailer left you in a good place, you should be able to skip some steps.

Brad Johnson

Member III
I compound and use a high end sealer topsides every year, clean compound and sealer the smooth sections of the deck and cabin top once I am in water and end of August to keep it clean and shiny, I use a buffer with a foam pad on topsider and a foam hand applicator on deck . Still looks very good after 34years

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I am now using Smoove, which I apply by hand to the cockpit and cabin sides, and use a pad on an articulating pole for the hull. It's a polymer sealant and seems to last a fair bit longer than wax. I apply it by hand, without a buffer.

The point of using the articulating pole is so that I don't have to lay my 66-year old carcass on the concrete dock. I just rub it on using the pole while standing up. After it dries slightly, then I do need to bend down to wipe off the residue with a microfiber cloth, but that's the relatively simpler part of the job and is far easier on the body than doing all of it from a sitting/kneeling/lying position. And it also speeds up the process by a lot.

This gives me what I'd call a "good enough" result. No, it is not as good as if I laid on my side on the dock with an electric buffer, or paid someone else big bucks to lay on the dock with said buffer. But it's way, way better than doing nothing, and it's now only a job I somewhat dread versus one that I completely abominate and so put off altogether. In my opinion, my hull looks pretty darn good with this stuff on it, I'm sure it's protecting the gelcoat, and, more to the point, it's something I'll actually do. But it's not the best job someone can do, and maybe not one that would meet the standards of you energetic youngsters. It's just the best result I think I can get for the amount of effort I'm willing to put into it--which ain't a whole lot.

Here are some links you might find helpful:

The Smoove website

Here's a video of a guy doing a boat by hand with this product. I'm essentially doing it the way he does, except that I'm applying it to the hull with a pad on a pole. But for the cockpit and cabin sides I'm following the procedure in this video. (The video is kind of drawn out, so you might want to skim it at double speed.)

Attachments

• IMG_20210213_171920647.jpg
    IMG_20210213_171920647.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210219_113137577.jpg
    IMG_20210219_113137577.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 21

TKBLACK

Member II
if you are contemplating doing this yourself, this is really worth a read through as a primer https://www.sailnet.com/threads/tips-for-compound-polish-wax.52772/

I used this guide as a starting point for what I do on my boat. I don't quite go to the levels he does, but the tips and lists of products that he uses are worth reviewing. None is that hard, but it can be a decent amount of effort. Like usual with boat stuff, maintenance is easier than overhaul, so if your detailer left you in a good place, you should be able to skip some steps.
Thanks ever so much for this post! Encouraging to find useful and money saving info. Auto body quality Microfiber towels are worth every penny for vessels, autos and homes. I appreciate a shiny clean vessel. Will eagerly use the PRESTA products. Thanks again. Karin on Achates a PSE 34-2