• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Port lights

George

I have a an 87' 34 MKII with the original lewmar port lights. The rubber caskets are coming loose. Has anyone repleaced the caskets or the entire port light with some thing newer? Any body ever repack the open and fixed portlights as well, and how bad was the job?

cheers

Great site btw!!!

ref_123

Member III
Gaskets gone bad

Just did that... Removed an old, twisted and dirty gasket and went to a local Lewmar dealer. An old wise man looked at them and said that from his point of view the gasket is serviceable, although I can purchase new ones for $20 each.

So, me and my wife washed all gaskets clean and applied an automotive rubber restorer on them. Then I washed ports carefully, making sure a small groove that goes all around the frame is clean (old toothbrush works well). The next big thing was to push the arrow stripe on the gasket into the groove - circle the whole gasket . I succeded with it on most ports; where I could not, I followed the old wise man advice and put some silicon. Then I shut the ports in hope that silicon rubber will close whatever holes between the gasket and the frame I have...

Gaskets seem to be looking good now. I did not make a hose test yet - the boat is still in the yard. I will let you know the result :)

Regards,
Stan

rgraham

Member II
I used sugical rubber hose to replace the gasket material on my port lights but it is a 1981 E-36RH so I don't know if they are the same. It comes in different diameters. I was told that in time the natual rubber will degrade into a stick mess but I figured that I would replace them more often as long as they sealed.

Robert

George

Thanks, i am going to buy one and service one, give it the hose test and see if it is the gasket or the port needs repacking. I am hoping for the gasket!

cheers