• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Possible air intrusion?

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Wow, Sulley. Is your new boat really named MaineSail? You have big deck shoes to fill! Haha.

MaineSail ( the guy who goes by that name) is a guru of sorts and provides so much boat advise, he is near indispensable.

ToddSullivan

DropKickSully
Wow, Sulley. Is your new boat really named MaineSail? You have big deck shoes to fill! Haha.

MaineSail ( the guy who goes by that name) is a guru of sorts and provides so much boat advise, he is near indispensable.
This is the existing Boat name. I did not name it. I purchased the Boat out of Racine WI. Currently located in New Buffalo, MI.
Eventually hoping to settle in South Haven, MI.
I will have little advice to offer. Mostly here to learn as I begin this journey of bringing my boat back to life after what appears to be some idle years. Tackling a stubborn engine that does not like to start after sitting for a bit. I have to bleed the fuel line everytime I want to fire up. Def anxious to get this repaired!!!! Hard to find a mechanic that is availble to get me going so I am trying to do things myself.

ToddSullivan

DropKickSully
Conclusion:
After replacing the glow plugs, tighten the fuel lines, removed and reinstalled the filters, check for any leaks or cracks in the Racor bracket, and countless hours of removal, clean, removed hose clamps / replaced some which I thought they were leaking, removal of the air bleeding valve / cleaned it, air bleeding and starting the engine, it still performed the same. Started up just fine but only when my air bleeder knob was turned open by about 1 1/2 turns, more than that, it stalled and less than that, it stalled.
Until... I was bleeding the air out for the 4th time and my arm rubbed up against the preformed 5/16" fuel line that is about 6", goes from the fuel filter to the air bleeding valve, and when my arm slightly hit the line, a spray of fuel came out and sprayed all over. The preform hose was painted with the engine so you cannot see the crack in the line, even when I removed it - impossible to see it. The hose became very rigid and developed a hairline crack, sucking air into it.... which probably was my problem this summer when I thought my fuel filters were clogged and I did a complete replacement and fuel tank cleaning.
I purchased a 6" long 5/16" fuel line, replaced it, bled the fuel system, etc.... 5 min later after the engine got all the air out, engine sounded better and a little smoother and ran well under load.
Well, although it was frustrating that I could not figure it out sooner, glad I found the problem.

.... Anyone know where you can get the preform fuel line? You have to make a aggressive bend in the line and I can see the line somewhat collapse because of this. It will be fine for some time but I can it being an issue at some point. I looked through the internet and could not find the part.
Did you ever find a source for this fuel line? I am beginning to think this is my problem. Engine runs great once I bleed the line but I still see diesel dripping from this area. I think I need to replace the 6" fuel line from the bleeder to the filter.
5/16" line?? New C-clamps?? anything else along there that I can replace??
I replaced the washers and the bleeder screw to the left of the banjo valve. This stopped a slow leak where the Banjo met the injector pump.

Attachments

• new part Bleed Valve and Washers.jpg
    new part Bleed Valve and Washers.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 7

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I found it difficult to find a fuel line (from tank to engine) that fit my Kubota. No hose sold fit the fitting on the engine. In the end you may have to order a Kubota part. I stuck with my old fuel line.

It may seem simplistic, but our diesels will run if they have fuel. The most common issue isn't the sight of dripping diesel, which is easy to stop, but rather the entry of air into the system which doesn't drip or reveal itself in any way.

INvisible leaks are hard to find, but a popular discovery is a hidden crack in an old Racor 200-series primary filter housing (the aluminum casting). Since the electric fuel pump sucks, rather than pushes, fuel out of the Racor, that is always a good place to start. Downstream from that there are other places than can admit air, all of them logical, if not easy to access.

I have come to believe (from reading our shared stories) that an engine that dies, or won't start, is seldom victim of anything interesting, such as injectors, glow plugs, or an expensive catastrophe. It usually turns out to be air in the system, and often after a good deal of frustration. Few issues have driven me more nuts, but always the final answer was irritatingly simple.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have come to believe (from reading our shared stories) that an engine that dies, or won't start, is seldom victim of anything interesting, such as injectors, glow plugs, or an expensive catastrophe. It usually turns out to be air in the system, and often after a good deal of frustration. Few issues have driven me more nuts, but always the final answer was irritatingly simple.
Yet another nugget of hard won wisdom !
:cool:

ToddSullivan

DropKickSully
I am proud to report that I have...for now...repaired my starting issues. I have replaced the 6-7 inch section of fuel line from the secondary fuel filter up to the injection pump intake. My engine has been starting every attempt and the engine is running great. I intend to replace all of the fuel lines by the end of the summer, but for now, it is time to sail and enjoy my new boat!!!!