• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Possible fixes for winch interference?

peaman

Sustaining Member
The boat is new to me, but I cannot imagine Bruce King intended for a winch handle to collide with an adjacent winch? what was the original intention here, and what's the best way of correcting this? The smaller winch is Barient #10, and the larger is Barient #18 2-speed.

IMG_2422.JPG

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looks nonstandard. Perhaps for a dodger issue?

Either winch can be moved easily, but of course that will leave holes to be filled in the former location.

Also, a main halyard winch might not really need a 360 turn, if most of the hoist is overhand.

peaman

Sustaining Member
The dodger will be replaced (or discarded), so we can set that aside. If it's "non-standard", what would the standard arrangement look like?

gabriel

Live free or die hard
You can still use that winch; ratchet back and start the “grind“ over.

A marina is a pretty good place to look at sailboat deck layouts...there might be one close by. ;)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For the future, perhaps consider removing both winches and replacing with one large self tailer. Your halyard loads would be similar to ours, and our new 40ST housetop winches seem to have ample purchase, compared to the stock size 30.
I have four clutches (two pair) in front of each winch. The leads are fair. You would have to epoxy in the old holes and do some gel coating of the little circles. (I always had trouble matching the gel coat; you should do better...)
Here is our story: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/ubs/new-housetop-winches-clutches.709/

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
What an awful thing it would be to leave "yacht" behind for the use only of advertising copywriters. It's a good Dutch word still, and oughtn't be stabbed in the back by yachtsmen. It worked hard for years as the name of the most popular print magazine. You may yourself, in innocence and without sarcasm, have considered joining a yacht club. I know what a yacht is, and what it is not, and there is no change in language that I can see. A yacht is a sailboat that by nature exists beyond mere utility. It can be of any size or pocketbook. A trim Optimist pram, sailed with elan by an 11-year-old, can well be a proper yacht. You will know it immediately by the bounce of her pigtail. How is a yacht different from a sailboat? Well, it will have a bit of varnish. It may have a few fittings of bronze, just because it does. It will have lines that please the eye, lines such that the designer intended a yacht, don't you know, and not a railroad train. It will have a jaunty character, and wear its flags correct and its lines coiled, and its accoutrements will reveal a taste in matching style to substance. It ought to have some wood, but if it has stainless steel where wood once was that will conform in its context and the new material will be homage to the old. A yacht leaves nothing to chance or fad, and is beyond the influence of the moment or the impress of public opinion. It knows what it is and was and makes no apology. Slocum's Spray was not a yacht, and neither is a Gloucester schooner or a friendship sloop or a Chesapeake bugeye. They descend from working craft, and proudly know it. Neither is a Hanse or a Benneteau a yacht, any more than a Winnebago is a land yacht. These new wide bodied, twin-wheeled, plumb-bowed exemplars of the ordinary, in their deference to production needs alleged as improvements, in their choice of gray and Formica as accents inspired by Early Holiday Inn, sacrifice the yachting aesthetic on the altar of the current They are Clorox bottles forever to be owned by the banks that financed them. They are the box that a yacht used to come in.

Bruce King designed yachts. Owners can call them that.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
What an awful thing it would be to leave "yacht" behind for the use only of advertising copywriters. It's a good Dutch word still, and oughtn't be stabbed in the back by yachtsmen. It worked hard for years as the name of the most popular print magazine. You may yourself, in innocence and without sarcasm, have considered joining a yacht club. I know what a yacht is, and what it is not, and there is no change in language that I can see. A yacht is a sailboat that by nature exists beyond mere utility. It can be of any size or pocketbook. A trim Optimist pram, sailed with elan by an 11-year-old, can well be a proper yacht. You will know it immediately by the bounce of her pigtail. How is a yacht different from a sailboat? Well, it will have a bit of varnish. It may have a few fittings of bronze, just because it does. It will have lines that please the eye, lines such that the designer intended a yacht, don't you know, and not a railroad train. It will have a jaunty character, and wear its flags correct and its lines coiled, and its accoutrements will reveal a taste in matching style to substance. It ought to have some wood, but if it has stainless steel where wood once was that will conform in its context and the new material will be homage to the old. A yacht leaves nothing to chance or fad, and is beyond the influence of the moment or the impress of public opinion. It knows what it is and was and makes no apology. Slocum's Spray was not a yacht, and neither is a Gloucester schooner or a friendship sloop or a Chesapeake bugeye. They descend from working craft, and proudly know it. Neither is a Hanse or a Benneteau a yacht, any more than a Winnebago is a land yacht. These new wide bodied, twin-wheeled, plumb-bowed exemplars of the ordinary, in their deference to production needs alleged as improvements, in their choice of gray and Formica as accents inspired by Early Holiday Inn, sacrifice the yachting aesthetic on the altar of the current They are Clorox bottles forever to be owned by the banks that financed them. They are the box that a yacht used to come in.

Bruce King designed yachts. Owners can call them that.
Christian, Strange that a discussion about winch placement should evolve into one about the use of the word "Yacht". Just goes to show that sometimes you never know what you'll get when you start reading something in the EYO forums. Sort of like a "box of chocolates". My wife and I were discussing the use of the word "yacht" recently and how we never, ever, hear it used by a sailboat owner. Not sure abut power boat owners because we don't talk them. :D (Just kidding!) Wikipedia (If you consider it an "official" source (some like me always don't) says that a yacht is "likely to be at least 33 feet (10 m) in length and may have been judged to have good aesthetic qualities." I read in other sources that the length can be as short as 24 feet but no matter because we sailors don't refer to our sailboats as yachts but rather, when talking to other sailors, as sloops, ketches. yaws, racer/cruisers, catboats, even sailing prams and so on. When in conversation with "non-marine" oriented people, sometimes referred to as "land-lubbers", I never use the term yacht because it brings with it the unspoken statement that, "I'm wealthier then you are because I own a yacht. So there!" A silly notion to be sure but to those where I live, South Central PA (I drive 1.7 hours to my boat in Annapolis), where there are people both well above and below my means the term "yacht" sometimes brings to mind being as rich and as "yacht-clubish" as Thurston Howell III, played by Jim Backus on Gilligan's Island. As we all here on EYO know that couldn't be farther from the truth. All you have to do is to tell something like the story about how you removed the old head and waste tank from your "yacht" to convey that sailing isn't exclusively the sport of the wealthy or sometimes all fun and games. No, the term I use with my friends, people I just met and even family is that we own a "sailboat on the bay" and when they ask how big, and they always do, I say 32 feet which to them is impressive it's because it's bigger than their family car.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
No, the term I use with my friends, people I just met and even family is that we own a "sailboat on the bay" and when they ask how big, and they always do, I say 32 feet which to them is impressive it's because it's bigger than their family car.
Similar for us, and your reference to the family car is a good one. We once took some neighbors out for an evening sail -- they found it interesting but obviously had zero frame of reference for an activity so alien to them.

There is a boat load of irony in how the growing size of sailboats has been normalized in the last 25 years. The YC we are in once had a large one design fleet of Santana 22's in the early 70's, and when those couples moved up to BIG boats they bought Santana 27's. (!)

Those OD fleets are long gone. By the 90's the average newer member boat was over 30' and growing, and we have constant difficulties finding slips for late model ultra wide and long boats in a marina designed when a 36 footer was a really really big cruising boat. (sigh)
Our first 'real' boat was our new Ranger 20, in 1976. We raced it in a large OD fleet, and cruised it for long weekends. Some of our friends did all this stuff with small children. :) This was in the day of "kids and dogs" racing.

Not sure how to even start to categorize the newer "HuntaCataBeno-llina's" into the whole yachting scheme.
Most of them are really second homes first, and sailboats a distant second.
As has been said before: "it's a funny old world, isn't it?"

Parrothead

Member III
True Keith but what's in a name? It was not uncommon for sailboat manufacturers dating back to the late 1960's to do the same, even MacGregor.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
The boat is new to me, but I cannot imagine Bruce King intended for a winch handle to collide with an adjacent winch? what was the original intention here, and what's the best way of correcting this? The smaller winch is Barient #10, and the larger is Barient #18 2-speed.

View attachment 39070
This is not a factory installation, and you are correct we would not have done this. Could have been done (badly) by the dealer during commissioning, or by a P.O. Ericson and BK are off the hook here :)

ddoles

Member III
Years ago I learned the meaning of "yacht" when shopping for insurance. I called the company and told them I wanted boat insurance. The lady asked what size my boat was. When I told her, she said she would have to transfer me to the yacht department. I think the price went up, but I felt special.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Re repositioning the winch: note the orientation of the output gear.

When you drill the new holes, consider overdrilling/epoxy if the holes go through the balsa core.

The old holes are unsightly and hard to make disappear in the original gelcoat. One trick is not to hide them, but countersink a little and put in dummy stainless flathead machine screws, flush. To the eye, this suggests some important device on the other side, since we are used to seeing fasteners on a boat. Only you will know they serve no purpose at all beyond looks.