• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Pre purchase - E32 Keel and hull condition, possible grounding?

ashyer

Member I
I looked at a E32 I'm interested in and took some photos. I shared photos of the keel with a surveyor. The surveyor said the photos reveal a potentially troubling situation. After looking at the keel I noticed some liquid leaking and thought I'd at least be in for a keel drop and rebedding. After sharing the photos with the surveyor he said there is other evidence suggesting a good forward grounding hit or damage from haul-out. He points out the following,

In this photo, there is evidence of a hit going forward, see the curled back lead,
1659032143991.png

In this photo, he said the leak is coming from the first keel bolt location and it's not a void, it's bilge water.
1659032714538.png

Then this photo I took, he said it's not clear and he might be wrong but it appears there is some cracking right at the aft end of the keel. This is common with a forward hit grounding (the whiteout in the photo is from me, protecting current owners identity).

1659033511294.png
He pointed out that groundings are common but Ericsons are particularly well overbuilt so whatever happened here could indicate a significant hit and potential issue. It might be beyond dropping and rebedding the keel. He said best he could do through images and not seeing it in person. He said if I'm going to primarily do river sailing where I live it could be ok but offshore would not be advised if this is what looks like. I guess that means hull structure issue and maybe a deal breaker. I've been looking for a E32 for a while and thought I found a good one here. I'll probably need to get a real survey done to know.

Any thoughts based on the photos? Is it time to walk? I found a nice E25 seemingly free of major issues, much closer to where I live for less than half the price. Not the 32-3 I've been wanting but maybe something for now until the right 32-3 comes up.

Attachments

• 1659032159266.png
    1659032159266.png
    491.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 1659032219781.png
    1659032219781.png
    505.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 1659032673828.png
    1659032673828.png
    505.8 KB · Views: 7

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
He said if I'm going to primarily do river sailing where I live it could be ok but offshore would not be advised if this is what looks like
I really don't get this kind of statement. ("Ya know, those swages on your upper shrouds look kinda janky, but if you are careful not to sail the boat in over 10 knots they will probably hold just fine.") If the boat is structurally compromised then it is structurally compromised. That, to me, would be a deal breaker.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Also, if the keel has never been dropped and re-bedded, it's past time to do so. Factor that (overdue...) maintenance cost into any offer. The seller, even if unwilling to say so out loud, has known this all along.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
The bottoms of these keels are fairly blunt and thick so it takes one heck of a LOT of force to bend and curl the lead as much as is shown. That would make sense for ripping the fiberglass near the forward bolt and crushing it near the trailing edge.

I'm willing to take on big projects but this one I'd walk away from and not look back.

ashyer

Member I
"Sure Shot" (@goldenstate) hit a rock, hard. He documented the event, investigation of the damage, and the repair. Here are his blog entries:
The End of the Affair?
Keel drop and damage analysis
Fiberglass Surgery, Minor Engine Work
Keel Bolt Replacement
How to repair a fiberglass keel stub

Can the seller clearly explain when and how the damage occurred? If not, I would be very careful.
Thanks. The Sure Shot entries give a good idea of what's in store if this project is needed. Given a repair shop gave me a 6-10k estimate just for a keel drop and rebed, the additional work would be quite costly. You never know how extensive until it's apart.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
He said best he could do through images and not seeing it in person

He didn't go to the boat? Hire a real surveyor.

A survey is going to cost at least $500 and there is no way around it, if you want a professional opinion. I wouldn't give two beans for some guy looking at pictures. Or one bean.

(added: can you show us the listing? A lot depends on price, your sailing intentions, how long to keep the boat and so on.)

Last edited: