• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Pretty sure the instructor is going to have some questions to answer.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It does seem odd to put the sailing class among the surfers, who are there for a somewhat different purpose.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
It does seem odd to put the sailing class among the surfers, who are there for a somewhat different purpose.
The swell was exceptionally big and at low tide waves start to break in places that they usually don’t. I believe I heard that they were on their way in and got caught inside a large set.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
The swell was exceptionally big and at low tide waves start to break in places that they usually don’t. I believe I heard that they were on their way in and got caught inside a large set.
I wish we knew how old the kids were.

If they were under 12, it was probably terrifying.

If they were over 12, historical revisionist heroism no doubt emerged:

"Dude, do you remember that time when I surfed my dinghy in at Steamer's? I think I rode that wave for about 500 yards. It was so rad."

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
IDK... the kids teams around here are prolly way better sailors than most boat owners. And pretty good surfers too. Could just be hijinx that looks bad to the uninitiated. Just a possibility.

Sailingfun

Member III
Come on! That's nothing!! I learn to sail on the same boat when I was a child. Occasionally go to the water was part of the fun.
I flip later much faster boats like tornados catamaran, soling class (so fun), and laser.
They are so close to the beach with people around and lifejacket.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Come on! That's nothing!! I learn to sail on the same boat when I was a child. Occasionally go to the water was part of the fun.
I flip later much faster boats like tornados catamaran, soling class (so fun), and laser.
They are so close to the beach with people around and lifejacket.
It's true that capsizing is fun in the right circumstances.

I can't really tell from the video, but some of the surf spots down there face rocky shores not nice sandy beaches, so it would be pretty worrying to get tossed here. I suspect some of the boats now require fixing as well.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
The waves have been breaking across the Harbor entrance for weeks now. The instructors should have never taken those kids (8-16 years old) out. The surfers are not allowed to surf there, its a harbor entrance and there is a $500 + fine. The surfers definitely helped out and kept some of the kids off of the rocks. I'm pretty sure there will be changes made to the Santa Cruz Yacht Club's Jr Sailing program. It could have been much worse.