• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Problem with transducer?

geopan81

I am in the first season of ownership of a 1976 E-29 hull number 492 and I cannot get the depth sounder to work. Its a Datamarine unit, I had a trouble code and sent it back to Pocasset MA. for repair got it back with no trouble code just not reading the depth. Does anyone on this list know how to trouble shoot a transponder? It is the type that sits above the inside of the hull, does not go through the hull. Any help woud be appreciated.

George Panenka

E-29 Sea Girl

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Can you hang the transducer over the side to see if you get a reading? If the cable is not long enough, you can put the transducer in a bag of water and move it around the inside of the hull. You might have poor bond with an air gap that is killing the transmission of the signal.

geopan81

Geoff

Thanks for the reply, but now I'm confused is the unit supposed to be immersed in water in order to work? What I have is a round pipe with a PVC threaded cap. The bottom of the pipe appears to be sealed to the inside of the hull, so now my question is does that pipe have to be filled with water for the transducer to work?

Thanks in advance for any help.

George Panenka

E-29 Sea Girl

geopan81

Geoff

Thanks as you can tell I have no clue. My last boat was a Hunter 20 had a thru hull sounder so no oil involved.

Regards

George Panenka

E-29 Sea Girl