• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Prop and/or driveshaft anode

Jaybee

Cocoa, FL 1984 30+
Hello all,

We're attempting to plan a haul out soon. If I can replace the anode on the prop/driveshaft while they have it in the slings that would save me the money of dry docking.

Does anyone happen to know what size/style anode would be on the prop/driveshaft so that I could pre-order it ahead of time?

Thanks.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Measure the shaft dimeter inside. Then you can buy the right anode size. It's probably a one inch shaft, but verify. Whether aluminum or zinc, depends on whether you boat in fresh or salty water.
If you do not have a caliper handy, just borrow the parallel rule from the nav table and let the sides embrace the shaft, and measure the distance up a ways on it with your tape measure...... works for me.

Jaybee

Cocoa, FL 1984 30+
Cool, that's what I would assume would work but didn't want to assume anything, thanks !

Are there any other anodes on the hull?

peaman

Sustaining Member
Not on my 1987 32-3. And probably not on your boat.

Some of these boats have one on the bronze strut for the prop shaft cutless bearing, but the necessity is debatable.

For the prop shaft anode, use Loc-Tite on the screw threads. Also, optionally, use fingernail polish to paint the thin area of zinc outboard of the screws. A reliable source tells me that that will tend to keep the zinc in place, regardless of extent of consumption, until you choose to remove it.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
. . . .
Hi Jeff,
I asked some questions about this subject and got some very helpful answers. I was able to sort through them for a solution that I'm comfortable with. You may find the responses useful.
Good luck,
Jeff

Jaybee

Cocoa, FL 1984 30+
20220826_145755~2.jpg

I'm assuming this was the correct spot to measure but I don't want to assume anything?

I measured 1" with dial calipers.

Is the old anode or whatever may be left when we had out most likely also held on with Allen head screws like the new one. Thinking of ordering a 1.25" advice just to have on hand just in case...

Thanks all, very much appreciated.

Last edited: