• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Prop Problems

Pismobeach

Have a '70 32' Ericson
After having a BAD vibration when put in gear , we dove on the boat and found broken prop.
Lots of corrosion and also no nut on shaft.

Any help on what to expect/ shaft size/ where to find used 3 blade prop and help on problems to expect. (can it be replaced in water??)

thanks for your help....Chuck $$$ are tight

DynamicDave

Member I
Haul Out Time!

Just had my '76 E32 hauled out for bottom job and a ShaftRealignment. I too had a bit of forward gear vibration, although my prop was in good condition. My shaft was out of alignment and my cutlass bearing was worn. I replaced my 2 blade prop w/ the Indigo 3 blade prop ($325 shipped) new bearing on my 3/4" shaft, and everything is HunkyDory! Better motoring in forward and reverse. Just the alignment and bearing labor was $400 plus the prop and bottom job( couple of small blisters repaired, might as well!) Total running to $3k!. Should hold me for a couple of years in fresh water.

I did get to do my own buffing and waxing while she was on the hard!
If you've got an A4 engine, you've got a 3/4" shaft. Open the motor hatch/stairs, lean over the motor w/ a set of calipers in hand, and measure the shaft diameter to confirm. There goes your tax refund!

wheelerwbrian

Member III
You will probably have to haul it to get it right. If the prop wacked something hard enough to bust it, it may have bent the prop shaft as well. You can get those from Aquamet - a couple of boat bucks as I remember. You'll definitely want to replace the cutless bearing too, as its probably worn or uneven because of the unbalanced prop.

DynamicDave

Member I
and so it goes.$.$.$

Don't be amazed if the yard notices that your strut is bent too. After 35 years, mine was/is a bit outa wack.The realignment of the old A4 helped, but did not restore 'perfect' output shaft/strut-bearing configuration. I'll be watchin' that cutlass bearing very closely for wear over the next couple of years before her next 4 star vacation on the hard. A simple haul out for an old boat can become a real eye opener (wallet opener too!)
Still, I'd not give up my good'ol boat for a newer unit. I'd just have to worry more if I did! DB