• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Prop

dhill

Member III
Flexofold recommended the 16x9 for me (E35-3 5424). My 2b fixed was a (I think) a 15x10. The 16x9 turned out to be *way* to much prop. I was doing almost 4kts in idle, and couldn't even get to 1/2 full RPMs, The up-side of trying the 16x9 was finding out what the strange clunking noise was with the old prop when I gave it full throttle: the stbd rear motor mount wasn't attached to the boat.. just resting, as the lag bolts had stripped. With the larger prop, the entire engine was bouncing on that mount. With the 16x9 the thumping got so bad it became obvious. New motor mounts and larger/rebedded lag screws helped the noise. I went down to 15x10 blades (which they shipped overnight at their expense which was nice). The nice thing about the folding prop is that you can change the blades without pulling the prop off the shaft. I actually swapped the blades underwater anchored in Vineyard Haven, MA, That was a seriously heavy suitcase lugging all my diving gear on the ferry!

The 15x10 is probably the right size if I had all the HP the engine had when new, but I am still a bit over-propped with these blades. It may be the same diameter and pitch as the old 2b fixed, but the flexofold blades are about twice as wide as a typical sailor fixed prop. I am not able to quite get to 2800 (max) RPM, but easily reach hull speed at a comfy 2000 (was more like 2200 with fixed prop)

I kept the larger blades for when/if I repower with the Beta 30.
Hi debonAir,

Did you purchase a 2-blade or 3-blade Flexofold? If 15x10 is still a bit over-propped, what would you recommend going with? I have a 35-3 with a Universal 25XP.

Thanks!
Dave

debonAir

Member III
I got the 2-blade 15x10. Still a bit over-propped, but that might have more to do with my engine being old vs the prop being new. It is fine for my use. I spent at least 24 hours of motoring this Summer (some long trips) and had no issues.

If I had a lot more money I'd get a 3-blade just to reduce (potential) vibrations.

Saverio

Member III
Hello everyone, I have an adjustable three-blade propeller Max Prop 16 × 14 ericson 38 200. Sail + 1/2 kn motor + 1 kn. In reverse it is very good. Crosswind mooring almost always on 15/20 kn with retracted spaces. Greetings. Xavier

Pat C.

Member III
I have a Maxprop three blade feathering prop installed a couple years ago. they are very nice, significant reduction in drag when under sail (they say 10-15%), the reduction in drag is enough to feel it under sail compared to the old fixed 2 blade. As we are aware , they are also very expensive. They also require lubrication, I try to do mine annually, if you are in the ocean or a clear body of water you can do it in the water easily enough. On Texoma our water is silty enough to where it is difficult to see underwater so I need out of the water to perform. They also have a lifespan where eventually they require rebuilding from the factory. I'm not too worried about that being on a landlocked lake, but long term ocean cruising it may become an expense to consider.

Maxprop makes a new model that is adjustable in the water. Don't worry about that, these are pitched based on the engine and transmission, PYI told me what to set it to and then I shouldn't need adjustments from there. Just set it and forget it. If you change engines or transmissions the regular model is adjustable as well, it just needs to be out of the water to do it.

One problem I needed to correct was the prop shaft was too long, I had about 6 inches beyond the cutlass bearing (you want about 1 inch) Ericson may have used the same shaft in the 35 and the 38, not sure about that. That is important, these have a lot more blade area and too much shaft length you will get vibrations under power (I had vibrations with my fixed 2 blade that were distracting to say the least). You'll also get vibrations (cavitation) with too big a prop without enough hull clearance. Replacing the prop shaft is no small deal if you have too much length beyond the cutlass bearing as I did, so possibly something else to consider.

I also think about my anodes a lot more now. I use magnesium (fresh water), and since I can't see them underwater I use a reference electrode to check them with a multimeter regularly. The Maxprop has it's own anode as well as the prop shaft. The things we do for our boats we love, right?

All said, would I do it again? Absolutely. It handles in reverse wonderfully, much better thrust under power, and the reduction in drag under sail is remarkable. Simply the best thing I've done for the boat under sail, minus replacing the sails themselves. Just know what you are getting into on the maintenance side before pulling the trigger.

Doug177

Member III
Hi Dave. Welcome to the flock. We have a 3 Blade Flexfold 15". Since my 35-3 Flicka is almost a sister ship to yours (Hull number 250) and has never been altered, it should be ok. I run 1700 rpms at 7'ish knots. Boat seems happy. Boat stops quickly when you throw it in reverse and rev it up smartly to keep the blades open.

dhill

Member III
Hi Dave. Welcome to the flock. We have a 3 Blade Flexfold 15". Since my 35-3 Flicka is almost a sister ship to yours (Hull number 250) and has never been altered, it should be ok. I run 1700 rpms at 7'ish knots. Boat seems happy. Boat stops quickly when you throw it in reverse and rev it up smartly to keep the blades open.
Thanks Doug - good to be part of the flock! Do you have the 15x10? What’s your max rpm with your prop? How’s the prop walk?

Thanks,
Dave

Doug177

Member III
Here is what I have right now Dave.

3-blade Flexfold 15x09-3R. Fits with plenty of room with no changes to shaft length.
Max RPM 2700 but we could have it adjusted for no more rpm's because we don't get any more speed for it.
We have a tad more prop walk than with the two bladed I think but not much.

The 9 pitch is what was quoted. I assume that is what we have. I will try to find the packing list from the factory to confirm.

Did you ever get your shower sump pump power sorted? And where does yours discharge? Into the main bilge area like with Loren?

Doug

dhill

Member III
Thanks Doug!

Replacing the heat exchanger became a bigger priority, so I ran out of time to resolve the shower sump pump power issue before I had to have the boat hauled. I also went sailing a few times :cool:.

My shower discharges into the separate bilge forward of the mast, not the main bilge area.

Thanks!
Dave

Doug177

Member III
I lose a little bit of coolant each season out of my coolant reservoir. Maybe a quart a summer. I don't think it is a hose leak so my heat exchanger probably has a slow leak. I will have to pick your brains on the pitfalls and difficulty involved. Doug

patrscoe

Member III
debonAir,
I am also looking to purchase a FOF and was quoted and sized for a 2 blade 15x10R and 3 blade 15x9R. Similar to the above comments.
I have a 34-2 with a M25XP 2:1 ratio. I have seen a few 34-2 and 35-3 with a 2 blade 15x11 but when I brought this up to FOF, they indicated anything more than a 10 pitch, I would be overpowered and would not recommend it.

With that said, I am going to pull the trigger on the 2 blade 15x10R.
My only concern is vibration and you noted 'potential' vibriation and you would have gone with the 3 blade.
Do you have any vibration problems?
It is a $1k difference between a 2 blade and 3 blade, and I would prefer a 2 blade anyways, pending vibration issues.

On another forum for racing, I sent messages to sailors that purchased the 2 blade FOF and they noted no or little virbration, less than the fixed 2 blade. But also noted to clean your prop so it works properly which I need to do a better job. This is my current 2 blade prop.... I could not reach over 2000 rpm while going to the marina to be hauled out last week.

IMG_3361.JPG

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yikes. I'd clean the prop and reassess its performance.

I wonder why the hull is clean but not the prop/strut?

patrscoe

Member III
Yup, I know. That's Chespeake Bay for you. Mid summers can be hot and windless so your sailboat sits in warm waters without much use.
I have tried many anti-fouling paint for props but only thing that works is free diving with a spackling knife twice a year.
It is not fun diving in late Fall when the temperature drops and this year it got away from me a bit. Only did one cleaning.
Either case, I have never been very happy with the fixed 2 blade, even early spring with a super clean bottom and prop.

patrscoe

Member III
Flexfold 2 blade prop
I ended up purchasing a new Flexfold 2 blade prop this past winter and like to recap my experience to date.
Costs was $1,200.

Purchasing: Company is located in Denmark and even with so many issues with materials, they delivered ontime and I had no issues. Everything arrived, complete and well packaged.
Install: I was surprised that it was fairly easy install and had good directions. Comes with a special prop nut and it is set deep into the prop so make sure you have a good deep socket wrench. I think my nut was 22mm or 23mm.

I previously had a standard 2 blade prop (reference message above) and although this is also a 2 blade prop, there is considerable more bite, forward and reverse. With more bite, there is a slight more prop walk but only in the very beginning but disappears within a few seconds or so. I would rather have some prop walk than none at all. With more bite, I seem to have more immediate control in tight spaces. I have not hit hull speed yet but I have been in some snotty weather so no matter what prop I had, I would be slowed down by chop, waves and current.
Only issue, which is not a big problem, is some minor vibration starting at about 1900 RPMs. Even in snotty weather, I was able to keep 5 to 5.5 knots through the waves, between 1800 to 1900 rpms. I contribute minor vibration to that this is still a 2 blade prop.
My Universal is tired but still works well so I am assuming that I will not achieve my full HP and hull speed unless it is completely flat.
I will not be able to actually measure the sailing improvement of this change but you can feel it gain speed quicker which means you can shift gears with your trim a little quicker. Maybe it's in my head but it feels quicker and faster. I have not sailed in light winds yet but I believe that is where it will perform well.

I think if I could redo, I would buy the 3 blade FOF vs the 2 blade. Maybe.
Anyways, above is a quick review of the FOF.