• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Question about fuel injectors

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I think I'm coming due for having the injectors in my engine checked and serviced. Although the engine starts and runs well, it's been about 1,200 engine hours since they were done.
I know they need to be checked and serviced by a knowledgeable shop with the right equipment, but can I reasonably remove and reinstall them myself, or is that best left to a mechanic. What are the risks if I attempted it myself carefully?
Frank

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Tagging along for this one. I'm having no discernable problems with mine, but have no idea how long its been since they were last serviced, and thinking I'd rather do it *before* anything really needs attention.

Along with that job, what other things are good to do while taking that on? In my case, as long as I'm back there I figure I'll finally take on the cracked mount that holds the secondary fuel filter, and maybe reconfigure fuel lines to make bleeding easier. Or at least less messy.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Ditto. And is it easier/more cost effective to simply replace them?

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
They are extremely easy to remove and re-install, but don't disassemble them. They contain matched parts and develop unique wear patterns internally.

Before going to too much effort and expense, realize that you can soak them for a couple of days in SeaFoam or one of the other cleaners and it will dissolve most of the crud. Use a brass wire brush to remove anything left on the tip and reinstall. Then give it the general SeaFoam treatment:

Frank Langer

They are extremely easy to remove and re-install, but don't disassemble them. They contain matched parts and develop unique wear patterns internally.

Before going to too much effort and expense, realize that you can soak them for a couple of days in SeaFoam or one of the other cleaners and it will dissolve most of the crud. Use a brass wire brush to remove anything left on the tip and reinstall. Then give it the general SeaFoam treatment:
Thanks, Tin Kicker! In the video you attached, the dude simply soaked the injectors in Seafoam by adding to the fuel, also filling the fuel filter, and running the engine to remove deposits from the injectors. He didn't actually take the injectors out.
In my case the engine is running well, but it's been over 1,200 engine hours since injectors were serviced, one replaced.
Do you think it would suffice to just add Seafoam to my diesel fuel tank, or do I need to remove the injectors, clean with a wire brush as you mentioned. I do sail on remote areas at times, so need to avoid problems, but also don't want to mess with the engine unnecessarily.
Thanks for any further advice!
Frank

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Thanks, Tin Kicker! In the video you attached, the dude simply soaked the injectors in Seafoam by adding to the fuel, also filling the fuel filter, and running the engine to remove deposits from the injectors. He didn't actually take the injectors out.
In my case the engine is running well, but it's been over 1,200 engine hours since injectors were serviced, one replaced.
Do you think it would suffice to just add Seafoam to my diesel fuel tank, or do I need to remove the injectors, clean with a wire brush as you mentioned. I do sail on remote areas at times, so need to avoid problems, but also don't want to mess with the engine unnecessarily.
Thanks for any further advice!
Frank
I am a strong proponent of not fixing something that is not broken. If you have a good idea of what your engine sounds like when running smoothly, then I'd just do like in the video. But the point is to monitor for an occasional miss or stutter.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Other sources, mabe even Seafoam's mfg sometime recommend filling a new (empty) fuel filter with straight Seafoam and running it through the engine. Yes, the engine will run on straight seafoam, and the injectors get a concentrated, extended, pressurized bath of the cleaning solution.

I've done it once but saw no difference afterwards.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
I took ours out to be professionally serviced/cleaned 10 years ago or so. Not difficult. At the time it was cheaper than buying new ones. Their report showed 2 of them had ok spray patterns, but one was way off - they tuned them all to optimal. But to be honest, I didn't notice much difference afterwards.

Frank Langer

I took ours out to be professionally serviced/cleaned 10 years ago or so. Not difficult. At the time it was cheaper than buying new ones. Their report showed 2 of them had ok spray patterns, but one was way off - they tuned them all to optimal. But to be honest, I didn't notice much difference afterwards.
Cory, did they have any explanation why the one injector was way off, but the others ok?
Frank

Frank Langer

In order to settle this in my mind I phoned two marine engine service shops and one shop that sells and services fuel injectors as their main business. I told them engine is running fine, has 1200 hours since last injector service, clean fuel with biocide and Startron additive added at each fill. All three told me 1) if it is running well, don't touch it, leave well enough alone 2) if it starts well, doesn't misfire, doesn't smoke, it's good 3) if it starts within 30 seconds of holding glow plug, it's good.
So based on this information, the consensus is to monitor for symptoms and otherwise don't touch the injectors, despite Nigel Calders recommendation that they be serviced every 900 hours.
Frank

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Cory, did they have any explanation why the one injector was way off, but the others ok?
Frank
I don't recall. But I don't think it was anything unusual. For what its worth, making sure the valves were adjusted right made a way bigger difference on our boat than cleaning/servicing the injectors.