• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Questions with my Rudder

zagnut

My Ericson 30+ is on the hard for the first time since I have been the owner (4 years). As you can see, it is leaking grease from the rudder post. Is this normal? Also there is at least 1" of vertical play. I would suspect it should be held fairly tight. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Attachments

• IMG_1912.jpg
    IMG_1912.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1914.jpg
    IMG_1914.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1918.jpg
    IMG_1918.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 16

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Mine has about an inch of play. It also inexplicably rises up in the rudder tube when rotated. There should be a grease fitting on the rudder tube which should be periodically filled with grease to prevent water from reaching the packing gland. I think its pretty normal.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Agree. Is rudder in the sun? We're supposed to cover rudder when on the hard so it doesn't heat up and deform.

zagnut

It is somewhat in the sun, but the temps are between 30-40 - with 6" of fresh snow :(. I am just wondering why so much grease is leaking from the rudder post.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Didn't the leak occur after haulout? Generally in-water temps seem to keep the standard marine grease in place, at least in my experience.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I would guess someone put the wrong type of grease and now it's breaking down and running out. The 30+ rudder does have vertical travel and I believe it is due to the hull to rudder angle. If you move it to hard over in either direction that gap disappears, so if that space wasn't there the rudder couldn't move. Not sure if they designed it that way or after realizing a problem they fixed the glitch by dropping the rudder/tube a 3/4". In looking at your pics that spacer between your rudder and hull is half the width of the one on mine and looks to be different material too. Be curious if you can move that spacer when the rudder is hard over ?

David Grimm

E38-200
Gap looks big compared to mine. I made mine pretty tight while installing the autopilot. The grease however is somewhat normal. Your grease seems waterlogged. I would drop the rudder, clean and inspect the post, generously reapply new marine grease and reinstall. The quadrant holds the post in. Find someone whos done this to help you. Should only take a morning.