• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Racing an E27

ragamuffin

Member II
Hi all I am seriusly considering racing this season and was looking for advise from others who have raced e-27's or similar E's. I currently have a decent main and 150 Genoa on a roller furling and am looking at a new custom 110 laminate head sail for better performance. Does this make sense? I also have to register with LMPHRF to get a rating for my area on Lake Michigan anything I should know about this process? Thanks in advance.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Phrf

Are you saying that they are requireing you to get your boat measured? Or will they let you use the general phrf for an E27?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
LMPHRF is for the Lake Michigan area. Whichever racing organization you race with will dictate whos tables you use. Applying for a cert is fairly easy. Just answer the questions accurately and you will be fine. Also talk to other E27 sjippers in your fleet if possible. They should be able(and willing) to enlighten your on sail chice and other factors that could help you.

I am in PHRFNE which is a close knit group. We share lots of info with our peers. Making this as easy as possible is key to getting new blood.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
110% genoa

It makes sense if you race in a lot of breeze. Any 110 will be slower than a decent 150 unless you have about 14-16 KTWS. It will not replace the 150 if that was the question..at least not withut some other mods (ala Green Card)
I would also suggest a 100%-something you can sheet on the inboard tracks or mount short tracks on the cabin top. A 110, because it is an overplapping sail, will have a wider sheeting angle than 100, and thus will not point as well..

The 27 "Green Card" has all this figured out!

Have fun!

Hey Ragamuffin--

I don't race my precious, slow ass E26, but I've raced on a Ranger and currently race on a Shock 35. Random thoughts--

• First off, you and your crew have to realize that you will come in D.F.L. (Dead F***ing Last) for your first season. Do not get discouraged. Get a core of realible crew and stick with 'em.
  • Are you planning on racing spin or none-spin? You have a whisker pole, right?
  • Good call on the new head sail. That will go a long way to making you compete well.
  • Rum

ragamuffin

Member II
It makes sense if you race in a lot of breeze. Any 110 will be slower than a decent 150 unless you have about 14-16 KTWS. It will not replace the 150 if that was the question..at least not withut some other mods (ala Green Card)
I would also suggest a 100%-something you can sheet on the inboard tracks or mount short tracks on the cabin top. A 110, because it is an overplapping sail, will have a wider sheeting angle than 100, and thus will not point as well..

The 27 "Green Card" has all this figured out!

Have fun!
Thanks for the info Seth I wanted a 100% but the sail maker said 110 because of the forward shrouds. I am going to look into sheeting inboard with 100 just have to find the right place for the new tracks.

ragamuffin

Member II
Hey Ragamuffin--

I don't race my precious, slow ass E26, but I've raced on a Ranger and currently race on a Shock 35. Random thoughts--
  • First off, you and your crew have to realize that you will come in D.F.L. (Dead F***ing Last) for your first season. Do not get discouraged. Get a core of realible crew and stick with 'em.
  • Are you planning on racing spin or none-spin? You have a whisker pole, right?
  • Good call on the new head sail. That will go a long way to making you compete well.
  • Rum
I have raced on a Shields 30 and Nelson Marek 46 so I know what I am in for and agree about being dead last but that will be the only way I can learn, crew is key looking for them now. Will race non-spin for now no whisker pole...yet. Mount Gay is on board and considered a crew member .:egrin: