• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Racing Anchor System

missalot

Member II
Hi all,
I am curious if any racers out there have slick, light weight system for anchoring during a race.

We have a "human windlass" (he's a former semi-pro defensive lineman), but he is starting to complain about having to pull the 25 lb plow and 30' of 3/8 chain two or three times in one day and he's not always on board either.

I have seen a couple boats using what looks line vinyl coated cable on a spool, but never saw what they were using for an anchor.

For those of you who sail where the wind never stops and currents are never an issue, you may not understand!

chasandjudy

chas and judy
racing anchors

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=4211&referrerid=28

This thread might reference a useful product for your needs.
We race on a river and sometimes also have to anchor when the wind goes light...

Loren

hi folks ! I race Eden every Sunday all winter just out of Esquimalt Harbour
I remove the dodger ,cockpit table,and barbeque most of the food and wine
remove a 30 lb. CQR and use a danforth 13 S for the winter. Tomorrow Sunday November 2 we race from inside Esquimalt Harbour around trial Island
(either way) return it is a distance of 14 miles with some tricky tides to contend with. I expect over 25 boats will participate.
Non the less we will be the first home comfortabley having all the other amenities.:egrin:
Chas Eden E30+

Rick

Member I
[We have a "human windlass" (he's a former semi-pro defensive lineman), but he is starting to complain about having to pull the 25 lb plow and 30' of 3/8 chain two or three times in one day and he's not always on board either.]
I have 35 lbs Manson Supreme and 35' of 3/8 chain,I am "human windlass" 61 years old after 2 open heart surgery[carbon mitrial valve,ASD pach] I was born with heart problems so I never play any sports games .And this semi-pro.is complaining ?.Is "no problemo" for me to do this.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
For racing I'd ditch the chain, or at least replace it with something MUCH lighter and shorter. After all, it won't be left unattended nor with you sleeping on board overnight. Plus if you are anchoring it probably means its not blowing much (although current might be still be pulling on it strongly).

Our first race of the season on the aforementioned river we ended up anchored about halfway with our moderatley heavy all-purpose anchoring setup. The 30fter next to us just threw in a danforth knockoff on all rope rode. We both stopped drifting back just fine, but we had much better food and drink.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
3/8" Chain is way overkill for this purpose. I would go to a Fortress anchor, 1/4" high test chain maybe 15', and some 1/2" three strand. Put the rode in a canvas bag ready to connect to the anchor and stow on cabin sole by the mast. If the only purpose is for anchoring while racing when the wind dies you dont need much to hold the boat. You will need some chain though as the fortress can be hard to set with out it.