• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Racor 220 fuel filter

sailorjdh

Member I
When changing out the rancor 220 fuel filter / separator element is it necessary to fill the filter unit/ sediment bowel with diesel before trying to bleed the system of air? My lift pump has no pump lever and I believe when the ignition is turned to on it activates the pump on my 1989 M-30 universal.
Jeff Hart
Sweet Surrender
E-38 1989

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Most Universals (and later Westerbeke) diesels will have an electric lift pump. Yours is quite likely a "Facet" brand, altho repainted by Universal.

Unless you have a miniscule air leak in the gaskets when you screw the Racor back together, you should be able to turn on the engine circuit with the key, hear the pump click continuously as it pumps (over the obnoxious buzzing from the low-oil-pressure buzzer), and literally watch the fuel level rise inside the filter bowl. After a minute or so the fuel will then fill the line, the spinn-on engine filter, and then start splashing into the tank via the return line.
At which point you should be able to start 'er up.

Those little Racor's are kind of fussy sometimes about getting both gaskets sealed. I have had one fail and it gave me fits to finally trouble-shoot the problem.

To speed up the fuel purging process I have sometimes poured diesel back into the filter assembly (from the can I drained it into to start with), and sometimes not.

Let us know how it goes, and if this has not answered your questions, ask again! These little diesel engines do not need much to start and run... except fuel!
:nerd:
Regards,
Loren

Attachments

• ra220r2.jpg
    ra220r2.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 417