• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Radar and AIS Poll

I have:

• AIS only

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Radar only

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Radar and AIS

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
AIS is required now for all commercial shipping over 65 feet, which includes the traffic most of interest to us. The regs appear to exclude smaller fishing boats, and perhaps international traffic not heading for a US port. (Compliance by March, 2016). See here for details: http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=AISRequirementsRev

Yacht radar systems have improved and the cost has come down, as I understand it.

It might be of interest to hear which system is preferred by forum members who have them, and for what conditions, with a nod to power draw and unanticipated limitations and good points.

(I don't have radar . I'm pleased with my Vesper Watchmate with VHF antenna splitter, mostly for its clear dedicated screen and confirmed accuracy.)

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
The only CG vessel that routinely passes here (the buoy tender) does broadcast an AIS signal. But I suppose they are not usually trying to sneak up on anybody. I've noticed that some of the major buoys themselves are now broadcasting AIS. I can usually pick up the tugs and cruise ships at maximum range (15 miles) even when there is a mountain in between us, which I suspect means that there is some sort of repeater system in operation. Either that or the canyon walls reflect radio signals pretty well.

I bought the radar mainly because I was refurbing the mast and, hey, there it was on Craigslist, cheap! But it does use a lot of power. I've only used it when motoring in fog (once) or at night (once) on a delivery. Just a cool toy, really. I need to re-think the cabinetry so that I can see the screen by peering down through the companionway from the cockpit. Or actually put it in the cockpit, but probably that will have to wait for a future multi-function unit. I hope that the newer ones are more efficient. Otherwise, I would want to have it draw from a secondary (or much larger) battery bank, if we were using it under sail.

edit: 15 nautical miles is the max range of the Standard Horizon radio display, which is all I usually have on routinely. If I actually have the laptop/chartplotter plugged in, it shows vessels 100 miles or more away. Around here, everyone is either more-or-less going up-river or down-river, so it's always a potential collision course.

Last edited:

eknebel

Member III
ais only

AIS linked to the chartplotter makes it easier to evaluate shipping traffic(is that ship coming up the bay or stationary in the anchorage?). It also gives peace of mind transiting the C&D canal. In retrospect I wish I would have spent the extra money to get a transmitter, then I could keep track of my son when he takes the boat out for a long weekend with friends ;)

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
What? There is no "neither" option! Unthinkable, I suppose.

Actually, there is an app for that. Well, there are several apps that let you download (potentially old, partial) AIS data from the internet, but one ("mAIS") acts as a pseudo AIS unit and automatically uploads your position and other information to the Marine Traffic network. Nobody will see you on their AIS unit, but people at home can see you on their computer. (Or their mobile app.) You probably need to keep the phone plugged in, due to power drain, and it currently seems to be "broken" on iOS 8.2

Seems like "spot tracker" and it's ilk might be better suited for keeping track of the family boat.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
AIS & Radar

Hi, At the moment, I have only a Raymarine Digital Radar on a pole at the stern.. It will track up to 10 targets. In this area, the fog comes in regularly and when it does, it is dense. Port Angeles gets heavy fog quite often. We get fairly heavy ship traffic as Port Angeles has the pilot station that provides the pilots for Puget Sound. We also have a large number of recreational fishermen as everything that swims comes in or out of the Straights of Juan de Fuca. I have no trouble picking up ships at 6-9 miles depending on the setting. It seems to pick them up further out but I don't see the need for further out. We also have heavy Military traffic (nuke subs, Cruisers, Destroyers,etc.). None of them show up on AIS.

The Commercial vessels in this area have not proven to be the problem. The real problem has turned out to be the anglers. After several years of bouncing around in the fog and heaver seas etc. I have decided that the average angler is a fishing pro and a boating idiot. I have tracked them doing 27 knots in 50' visibility. In one run of 50 miles in heavy fog, I ran through three cans of horn propellant with out a single reply from a angler. None seem to understand the concept of a radar reflector. The commercial vessels answered my blasts as did the cruisers out there. I found the smaller fiberglass boats hard to see but, if I put a track on them, I could discern course and speed between fade outs. I really can't figure out why we don't lose more of these fools than we do.

In this area I look at radar as an absolute necessity and AIS as a nice to have luxury. That said, I will be getting AIS in a little while after getting my new windlass rigged up, my new depth sounder installed and my new remote fuel gauge installed.

Last edited:

lnill

Member III
I have both but to be honest, I rely on AIS unless we get heavy fog and even then I think AIS is easier. While smaller boats may be irresponsible, the odds of them hitting us are low...it is the freighters I want to stay very far away from.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Ais

I have been looking at the AIS lately. The receivers have become inexpensive lately but for about $400 to $500 more, you can install a Class B transceiver. Then you are actively sending a signal to the ships about you, your course and speed. That seems like $500 well spent. As I understand it, the range is about 15 miles. Anyone using one?

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Oh... I thought the transceivers were what we were talking about. Yep. I also use it as my primary GPS - networked to the other stuff that needs position info. It uses a powered antenna-splitter, by the same manufacturer, that also feeds FM to the stereo. I have a transmit/silent switch at the nav station, so as to not clutter up people's displays when I'm still sitting at the dock. Sometimes forget to flip it until I see a barge tow bearing down on me...:rolleyes:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sorry, I should have specified in the poll "AIS Receiving" and "AIS Transponder". Apparently the software doesn't permit altering polls once published.

The Vesper Watchmate I have is a transponder unit, for about $800. Their antenna splitter is another $250. It's the same device airplanes use, and sends to the other vessel everything about you that an AIS receiver says about them--course, speed, position, closest point of approach and so on.

Unlike an AIS receiver, it also provides an offensive game since they can see you as an AIS target, at least within VHF range.

Last edited:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
We have both AIS and radar displayed on our Garmin 740s chartplotter. We "receive" AIS.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
AIS Transponder

I've been reading (bad habit) that ships are beginning to filter out Class B Transponders in crowded areas to eliminate "clutter" on their screens. This might limit the usefulness of the transponders if too many ships do this. It might also explain exactly what they think of us. Maybe the receiver is the way to go?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
In case of this possibility, I have instructed my estate to cite sub-paragraph (e) when my case against Maersk comes to trial in The Hague:

(e). AIS is primarily intended for use by the Master or person in charge of the vessel, or by the person designated by the Master or person in charge to pilot or direct the movement of the vessel, who must maintain a periodic watch for AIS information.

But I wish you hadn't mentioned it.

Last edited:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
In case of this possibility, I have instructed my estate to cite sub-paragraph (e) when my case against Maersk comes to trial in The Hague:

[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]But I wish you hadn't mentioned it.

But what if it's your case against China Lines in Shanghai or Beijing :0

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Although I am only now getting the installation done so to be able to view the AIS and my AIS is receive only, I have both.