• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

"Radio check, radio check!"

Bolo

Contributing Partner
So finally last week we got Vesper, our E32-3 (1987), all setup for another season of sailing on the Chesapeake Bay. Yes, there are more boat projects to be done but aren't there always?! Anyway, while we were sailing across the bay I heard no less than 10 calls for a radio check on channel 16, which as we all know is the hailing and emergency channel. My guess is since it was the weekend many other boaters on the bay were out there too and among other things, checking their radios. Seems prudent, don't you think? Almost all requests for a radio check were answered in short order with each exchanges lasting only seconds but in the middle of it all the Coast Guard made their usual announcement that channel 16 was for hailing and emergency calls. We all get that but if you try a radio check on say channel 9, or almost any other channel you'll likely get no response because...everyone is listening on channel 16! There once was a channel on the bay, I think it was either 23 or 27, that had an automatic repeater that would record your radio check and repeat it back to you indicating that your radio was in good working order but it's gone now as far as I can tell so were back to asking for a radio check from actual human beings which IMHO is how it should be. Nothing like having someone reply to your radio check with something like, "Sound great here on (wherever you are) but the transmission is a bit scratchy" or "over modulating" or "sounds great". So my request from the Coast Guard is to "lighten up" and give us a break on 16. We're just making sure that our radios do work just in case someone calls for help. As for us boaters, if you use 16 make it brief cause it is our main line of communications in case something does go very wrong. Cell phones work too, within coastal waters but nothing like a broadcast to all those nearby when you really need help. If you want to talk about a fish you just caught or where you just saw dauphins then take it to another channel.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I did my radio check with a friend in our marina - we had a cell phone call at the same time so we knew we were attempting the check at the same time.

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
Seems like most VHFs have a dual or tri channel watch function. At least both of the handhelds and the fixed I have will do so.
I always monitor 16 and 9, and sometimes a third working channel as well if sailing with the club.

I found this blog from the CG that gives an automated procedure I didn't know about, and gives some history on the now defunct automated system you refer to:

I agree that a person to person check in is more informative. Is there a proper procedure to hail any vessels or all stations, requesting a response, and then switch to a working channel? It's essentially the same thing as a radio check, but without saying "radio check".

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
On the BC coast the Coast Guard will do radio check replies on their "working channel" vhf 83, but discourages using channel 16 to keep it free for emergencies.
Frank

HerbertFriedman

Member III
I too had little luck in using Ch9 for a radio check and have set up (partially) the Test Call feature on the DSC menu on my Standard Horizon radio. When you do dial in the CG number (003669999 in the SF Bay area), you do get an "alarm" signal back in about 10 sec, I assume that means that my radio is functioning. Problem is that when I do call us the Test Call function, I am asked to manually enter the CG number, a rather long process. There is supposed to be a way to call up the CG number from memory and I do have that number entered in the call memory, but I see no way to access that memory. I have tried to contact Standard Horizon but so far no response, anyone out there have a fix?

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Personally, I don't think the CG should lighten up on people using 16 for radio checks. That channel needs to be kept as open as possible for its intended purpose. If the radio check thing is this bad (here) with it being formally prohibited, I can only imagine would it might be like if radio checks on 16 were made standard operating procedure.

I haven't had an issue getting people to reply to my radio checks on channel 9, through sometimes in might take a try or two. And when I'm down at the boat, and I've got my VHF cycling through a variety of channels, I'll hear others asking for radio checks on 9 and I'll reply to them. I won't reply if I hear them asking on 16, though the CG usually lets them know not do to it.

I am located in Los Angeles Harbor, one of the busiest commercial harbors in the country. Perhaps I can see the point of loosening it in isolated areas where there is not much radio traffic, but certainly not here.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
You are correct Bob, as I learned this past weekend. I had just completed installing my new Standard Horizon GX2400 and tested the AIS functionality successfully, then tried a radio check on channel 09.

After 3 unsuccessful attempts, I gave up and shut her down. I assume the AIS works but can not determine if I need to replace antenna cable.