• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Railmakers Information (original equipment manufacturers)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I was just on the phone with John, who with his brother Dave founded Railmakers of Costa Mesa, CA, more than 40 years ago and are still going strong.

They are familiar with Ericsons, admire them, made much of the original parts back in the day, and still have many drawings, esp. of stainless tubing for pulpits and such. They still ship Ericson elements all over the world, John says, especially after hurricane damage. They've made several custom parts of stainless tubing for me over the years.

John is retired and was filling in for his brother, and usually not there nowadays, but when contemplating tubing issues Railmakers is a good place to call for advice.

For example, I'm attaching fittings to my stern pulpit. Will SS sheet metal screws work? Can you tap our tubing?

Answer: "The Ericson tubing wall is not very thick, but tapping is still better than sheet metal screws. The problem with self-tapping screws is that stainless is pretty grabby, it galls easily, and it's common to break off a screw and then you have a hole with a busted screw in it. The easiest thing to do is drill all the way through the tube and use a through bolt, maybe with an acorn nut for looks. That's strongest. Start with a nail punch, then a small diameter bit, then enlarge that hole. Low rpms and high pressure, with cutting fluid."

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
I bought a replacement stanchion from them last year, it was great to be able to get an exact replacement.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Do you know if Railmakers also sell railing accessories, like stanchion bases?
One of mine is bent and I'd like to get a matching replacement.
I reached out to Sailboatwreckingyard in Linden WA, but haven' heard back yet.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
They asked me if I needed a base when I called. I would give them a call, they were responsive and easy to talk to. They sent me the drill bit I needed too, since the base to stanchion screw placement varies. I was just asking about what bit was best, and the guy said he would send one with the part.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
They asked me if I needed a base when I called. I would give them a call, they were responsive and easy to talk to. They sent me the drill bit I needed too, since the base to stanchion screw placement varies. I was just asking about what bit was best, and the guy said he would send one with the part.
Thanks! I emailed their contact page.

mordust

Member II
Yep Another vote for Railmakers I worked with Dave. They made anew gate stachion for $110 plus shipping.