• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Raritan Manual Head

I have a Raritan PH-II manual head. It's not drawing water into the bowl, but seems to be having no problem pumping the water in the bowl to the holding tank. I tried to prime it by dumping a few buckets of water into the bowl and they would pump out but no fresh water would enter the bowl. I've checked the valve on the through hull and it is open. What parts would I need to order to replace on this head to get it working?

Mike.Gritten

Member III
I would first check that you actually have water passing through the intake through hull and into the inlet line. Disconnect the inlet hose from the through hull, after ensuring that the sea cock is in the closed position. Carefully open the sea cock slightly to allow a small stream of water to pass through the semi-open sea cock. If you have a small stream of water present, briefly open the sea cock fully and ensure that you have a strong, steady flow of water. Close the sea cock immediately!
If no water streams into the boat when the sea cock is slightly open, try carefully opening it all the way. If no water stream is present when fully open, you might want to try poking something stiff but flexible through the sea cock to dislodge whatever might be blocking the inlet (i.e. nasty growth of some description, jellyfish, small eel, etc.). Be careful. If something is dislodged with this method, water may start to rush through the sea cock. Remove your poking stick and close the sea cock immediately!
Assuming you have water flow through the sea cock, ensure that the inlet hose is clear through to the pump. If it is and still you can't get any water into the bowl, you are probably in need of a pump overhaul. For the PHII you can buy the overhaul kit of o-rings, balls, gaskets, flappers, and joker valve or you can get a completely new pump assembly. The assembly is pricey, but is easy to install and has the upside of updating your toilet to the latest version. We installed the pump assembly 3 years ago, and I just put the overhaul kit in it again this last weekend. I was impressed how clean it all was inside! Even the factory grease was still present. This overhaul was simply a preventive maintenance measure for us. We have written before about our routine of pouring 1 gallon of vinegar into the head, once a month and letting it soak in the toilet, pump and hoses for a few hours before pumping it out. It was nice to see first hand that this method is keeping everything in good condition inside.

jkm

Member III
Bart

If you decide to rebuild your unit stop and look around. I rebuilt my unit only to discover that the local West Marine was having a sale on floor samples and for $ 70 dollars more could have had a new one.

I enjoyed rebuilding it, but wish I'd bought the new unit.

John

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I have to assume you have the inlet valve on the toilet open, the knob on the top of the pump assembly. It is there to keep the pump from passing water in when not in use and to allow the bowl to be pumped nearly dry. The piston for the pump out is the same as the one for pump in. Top is inlet, bottom is discharge. The only other thing is the check valves could have buildup on them and this could make the pump not work. Go to raritaneng.com and search on the PHII and the exploded part view and owners manual will help you troubleshoot the head.

Last edited:

ref_123

Member III
In-line Strainer?

Hi there,

my installation has an in-line strainer which may get clogged once in a while... Another point to check before rebuilding the pump.

Regards,
Stanly