• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Raymarine i50 Depth instrument with existing transducer.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Recently, as part of my instrument upgrades, I purchased a new Raymarine i50 depth instrument which included a Airmar P319 transducer supplied by Raymarine. My existing depth instrument is a Datatmarine which works on NMEA 0183, I believe. My existing transducer works fine with the Datamarine and I'm now thinking that I maybe able to use the new Raymarine i50 depth instrument with the existing transducer. Unfortunately all the documentation on that transducer is on my boat two hours away.

I've also been told that if I want to use the new Airmar P319 transducer it MAY BE too small for the existing hole which then would require me to seal up the old transducer hole and drill a new one but, again, I don't know what transducer is there now or it's body diameter. It would be nice to use the existing one. I did send a question about this to Raymarine support but I was wanted to pose it to the very large "brain trust" here at EYO.

jtsai

Member III
The Datamarine depth instrument LED display on my last boat was too dim to read in the bright sunlight. I was giving an old Raymarine depth display (do not recall the model) and just happened the old transducer and Raymarine unit communicate using the same frequency. All I had to do was splicing pair of tiny spade connectors to the Raymarine display, Easiest and cheapest upgrade ever!

Bolo

Contributing Partner
The Datamarine depth instrument LED display on my last boat was too dim to read in the bright sunlight. I was giving an old Raymarine depth display (do not recall the model) and just happened the old transducer and Raymarine unit communicate using the same frequency. All I had to do was splicing pair of tiny spade connectors to the Raymarine display, Easiest and cheapest upgrade ever!
Maybe it was the gray case model. ST I believe it's called. Someone at my marina said to just connect it up and see what happens. I may do just that. Raymarine tech support got back to me and asked what make and model transducer I have and of course I can't answer that because it and the documentation are all on the boat. Thanks for you reply.

ddoles

Member III
Take a look at the Raymarine iTC5 converter. This will allow you to use an old transducer on the new Raymarine network. I installed it during my upgrade and my old transducer works fine with the new system.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Take a look at the Raymarine iTC5 converter. This will allow you to use an old transducer on the new Raymarine network. I installed it during my upgrade and my old transducer works fine with the new system.
Thanks for the tip. If my existing transducer isn't compatible with a direct hook up I may get the iTC5 because in the long run it maybe cheaper if the existing transducer hole is too large for the Airmar P319 transducer.

ddoles

Member III
Also to mention the iTC5 will also convert wind and speed data, so if you are also faced with decisions on upgrading these components this will address all and allow it all to be networked into a fully integrated system.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Also to mention the iTC5 will also convert wind and speed data, so if you are also faced with decisions on upgrading these components this will address all and allow it all to be networked into a fully integrated system.
After doing a bit more reading on the Raymarine web site I found this statement about the iTC-5:
  • If you don't have an ST70/ST70+ or i70 in your system, then the ST40/i40/i50/i60/ST60+ displays must be interfaced directly to the relevant analogue transducers
I am installing the i50 depth instrument so a direct connection to the transducer is required. (Not a big deal, IMO)

cdesopo

Member II
Maybe it was the gray case model. ST I believe it's called. Someone at my marina said to just connect it up and see what happens. I may do just that. Raymarine tech support got back to me and asked what make and model transducer I have and of course I can't answer that because it and the documentation are all on the boat. Thanks for you reply.

I'm in the same boat (pun intended). Our '89 32-3 came with the S-200DL head unit and DX-111 transducer. Installation of the DX-111 calls for boring a 2 1/16" hole whereas the P319 transducer that came with the i50 requires a 2" hole. I planned on epoxying the hole to prevent any potential water infiltration once I pull the old malfunctioning unit. I assumed this would fill the .8mm difference. Is that bad? Filling the old hole and drilling a new one seems extreme.

Attachments

• S-200DL Depth Sounder.jpg
    S-200DL Depth Sounder.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 2
  • S-200DL install.jpg
    S-200DL install.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I'm in the same boat (pun intended). Our '89 32-3 came with the S-200DL head unit and DX-111 transducer. Installation of the DX-111 calls for boring a 2 1/16" hole whereas the P319 transducer that came with the i50 requires a 2" hole. I planned on epoxying the hole to prevent any potential water infiltration once I pull the old malfunctioning unit. I assumed this would fill the .8mm difference. Is that bad? Filling the old hole and drilling a new one seems extreme.
IMO, 1/16” isn’t even worth quibbling about. I’m sure that the usual sealants are more than up to filling the gaps.