• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Raymarine sucks!

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Here we go again.... My masthead unit on the Raymarine ST60+ is screwed up again. Same thing as in the spring commissioning. Wind direction indicator only working from 45* to 45* regardless of actual wind direction. I replaced the masthead unit in the spring and sent the bad one back to Raymarine. I simply purchased a new masthead unit to go sailing. Now its the same thing again. I'm beginning to suspect that the connection, quick disconnect, is the issue. I will have to try cleaning the contacts and reassembling.

I find it hard to believe that Raymarine, and apparently others, cannot seem to make a reliable masthead transducer. They are not cheap either, but that isn't really my point. I would pay 10 times the amount IF THEY COULD GUARANTEE THE @#%*ING THING WOULD WORK!!!

At this point I'm ready to rip out the Raymarine gear, put it all in a box and just send it to them, stating how I feel and that I will never, ever purchase their products again. I'm done.

But whats next? Furuno? At this point cost is becoming a distant second or third concern. I just want instruments that WORK.

Okay, rant off but I can't really describe how pi$$ed off I am. I hope Raymarine goes bankrupt and disappears. Oh, and that other masthead unit I sent back? They still have not returned it.

RT

skywalker

Member II
Which way does the wind blow

Ya I had the same thing happen to me this summer. I haven't got around yet to figure out what is wrong. I also have a Raymarine ST60+ and my wind direction pointer is all over the place. I have been using the old reliable Windex and my face. The wind speed seems to be working and the actual wind vane part of it on the masthead is pointing to the right apparent wind so those are alright. So I guess its either the wiring, the instrument itself or the transducer. I mean what else is there to the system? My mast is down right now so its a good time to address this.

Maine Sail

Member III
Until I was hit by lightning my mast head transducer worked flawlessly. The replacement does too. Of course every fall I clean the contacts with DeoxIT then pack the mast head base full of dielectric grease for the winter and put also install the rubber cap for storage.. I also clean the transducer with DeoxIT and bring it home. In the spring I once again clean and flush out the mast head base with DeoxIT and pack full of dielectic grease then insert the transducer making sure the o-ring is also in place. Never had an ST-60 mast head transducer fail to work properly...

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I got the call today from my local supplier, the wind transducer was returned from Raymarine service today. Their ears musta been burning..... They sent me a new unit, warranty replacement. While I understand that some people have great experiences with Raymarine a quick Google search will turn up plenty that don't. Granted, I always hear good things about Raymarine service, but then again, I don't really want service. I want a product that works, all the time.

My local shop also indicated that generally the ST60's are pretty good but when there are problems its almost always the wind transducer.

I was fastidious when I installed the first transducer, CorrosionX, dielectric grease, etc. and the same with the replacement. Bottom line is, for something on a masthead in a marine environment, there are MilSpec connectors that would require NO servicing. It can be done, and for little money, they just choose not to. At least their warranty is decent.

Furuno will replace them if this is a reoccurring problem.

RT

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Raymarine replaced the fluxgate compass on my autopilot; no charge. Wasn't quick but they did it. Seems like quality control is a problem though.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I traveled to the top of the mast. Tried cleaning the contacts on the wind transducer, re-calibrating, etc. No dice. Swapped on my "new" warranty replacement wind transducer, that is the replacement for the first one that died. TADA! It works like a charm.

Boy that Raymarine gear sure is great, as long as you have a working spare in your back pocket that you can use while the other is in for warranty work you are good to go! :rolleyes:

RT