• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Re- power 1986 35-3

Thomas H

Member I
I'm thinking of replacement our orginal 21hp universal with a M-35B.
Has anyone used this model with success.
Thanks, Thomas

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Diesel Choices

The M-35B weighs more than a straight replacement, has a different reduction gear, and is a 4-cylinder configuration which might or might not fit as well in your boat. None of this directly answers your question, though; I hope that someone chimes in with first hand info that that particular engine.

Among the engine choices using the well-regarded Kubota short block a Betamarine might be better than the Universal in some ways, i.e. they have a high output alternator option with a flat belt, oil change pump standard, and (to my uneducated eye) their marinization design and fabrication looks lots better than what I have on my Universal diesel.

How about going for a modest increase in hp, with the same footprint, and spec-ing out the Beta 28 (BD 1005)? You might also put the Universal M25XPB into the mix...

What with the recession colliding with the boat show discount season, this might be an excellent time to work a deal on that new engine.

Happy wrenching,

Loren
:cool:

Last edited:

Frank G

Member II
Just out of dumb curiosity, how much do these engines cost? I would also imagine you have 2 or 3 grand installation costs too.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ball Park Estimates...

Either the three cylinder Betamarine or Universal will set you back something near or over 7K, on a pallet. That gets you the whole nine yards -- engine w/mounts, transmission, and new panel with wiring harness. The install is just patient and thoughtful labor, yours (time) or someone else ($$).

Nice winter project, IMHO. Like all projects on a boats near to a quarter century in age, it will likely involve other upgrades and maintenance... fuel systems, shaft and stuffing box, frp bed logs, etc. and some other etc.

This would also be the best time to replace all of the original crumbling sound-deadening insulation in the engine compartment... after that old engine is out.

Cheers,
Loren

ps: remember the immortal words about yacht ownership from our very own CaptDan: The golden triangle of yacht ownership is: Time, Money, and Skill. You need two out of three!
:rolleyes:

tilwinter

Member III
repower

I looked at replacement diesels at the Annapolis show this year, and I still have the price list. For the BD1005 28 horse, list is 9668. Show 20% discount is 7734. That includes 65 amp alternator. 100 amp with Multi groove belt is 400 (less 20%).

I was impressed by the Nannidiesel, which is also on Kubota block.

Yanmar sells about four times as many repowers at the show as all others combined, but did not give out a price list. They were competitive at every size engine. I think in many resptects you are purchasing the dealer, the network, and the support, as much as the motor.

Ernest

Member II
Repower

Having once looked into repowering our 84 E 35 -3 which at that time had a Universal 24 horse, our pick would have been the Beta 28 HP. It had a much more servicable configuration and the 4 extra HP and larger alternator would have been just right. We measured for space and it was an easy fit. The 24 HP Universal was adequate in most situations, except when you needed it most. That is, punching into 3-4 foot chop and a 20K head wind. Then speed made good dropped to about 3 Knots.

dwigle

Member III
M35b in a 38

The previous owned installed an M35 B in place of the original M35 in our 38 which is fairly similar to your 35. If you're interested in how it fits you're welcome to check it out. We're in Point Richmond, not all that far from Napa.

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E38 #8