• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Re-visiting single-line reefing

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
In my case both TL and outhaul are internal, so if the TL is changed to the gooseneck center sheave, the outhaul could just exit where the TL formerly did.

Kind of a puzzle with an external topping lift. Could you add a cheek block near the gooseneck and keep the TL external? Would that create an undesirable twist when led down and back? Boats used to have a sheave at masthead for the topping lift, which gave easy control. You could always put a sheave there and lead the TL down the mast and back.

Or, you could continue to enjoy climbing on the cabin house to adjust the topping lift. That's what I currently do. It is a reason to get out of the cockpit and look around and feel like a right jolly sailor lad. Frankly, with everything led back to the cockpit, even on a 38, it can get pretty crowded there.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Ken,
When you ran your topping lift back to the cockpit, how did you route the line? Did you use the center sheave on the gooseneck, then through turning block at mast base, and then around deck block on to the cabin top? I'm contemplating that change, because currently I have to go up to the boom to release it after hoisting the main. Sometimes I forget until I wonder why the leach is so curved...maybe an hour later.

I didn't have a picture of this when I posted the reply in post #18. Here's how it looks---aft run topping lift and clew outhaul:

boom.jpg

boom(2).jpg

Rufus McCool

I understand what you did now. The pics help a lot.

I was putting the boat back together after stripping for Marco and Laura and decided to take a few pics of the boom arrangement. Like I mentioned, I added the topping lift, but the outhaul was already rigged. My thought was maybe I could somehow run the topping lift inside the boom to the center sheave at the goose neck, then back to the cockpit. However, it looks like it'll need to stay like it is, because there isn't another opening at the back of the boom. I suppose I could use an exit plate and slot and let it enter the boom just forward of the cheek block. Any thoughts on this?

boom 1.jpgboom 2.jpgboom 3.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Note that the question of how to best rig a boom topping list becomes moot when you change to a rod vang. We have used a spring-return model since the 90's, with no problems.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ken, you'll have to be close hauled to adjust those cleats. That would not work for me. Such cleats are usually positioned on the mast end of the boom.