• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Read any good (sailing) books lately?

Bolo

Contributing Partner
My former copy proof reader wife (she was in marketing) informed me that I said spinnaker pole instead of whisker pole, which it was and of course she was right.

peaman

Sustaining Member
I've gotten a kick out of "MoonWind At Large: Sailing Hither and Yon" by Constant Waterman (a.k.a. Matthew Goldman). It is a collection of (very) short ramblings relating his adventures on the waters of RI and eastern CT. Nothing heavy or enlightening here, but fun to read.

Kalia

1987 Ericson 34-2
The Outlaw Ocean – Journeys Across The Last Untamed Frontier
Ian Urbina
Alfred A. Knopf 2021

(From the book cover) “There are few remaining frontiers on our planet. Perhaps the wildest, and least understood, are the world’s oceans: too big to police, and under no clear international authority, these immense regions of treacherous water play host to rampant criminality and exploitation. Traffickers and smugglers, pirates and mercenaries, wreck thieves and repo men, vigilante conservationists and elusive poachers, sea bound abortion providers, clandestine oil dumpers, shackled slaves and cast adrift stowaways – drawing on five years of perilous and intrepid reporting, often hundreds of miles from shore, Ian Urbina introduces us to the inhabitants of this hidden world.”

Island of the Blue Foxes – Disaster and Triumph on the World’s Greatest Scientific Expedition
Stephen R. Bown
Da Capo Press 2017

(From the book cover) “The immense eighteenth century scientific journey, variously known as the Second Kamchatka Expedition or the Great Northern Expedition, from St. Petersberg across Siberia to the coast of North America, involved over 3,000 people and cost Peter the Great one sixth of his empire’s annual revenue. Led by the legendary Danish captain Vitus Bering, the ten year voyage which included scientists, artists, mariners, soldiers and laborers, discovered Alaska, opened the Pacific fur trade and, thanks to the brilliant naturalist, George Steller, discovered dozens of New World plants and animals.”

The Invention of Nature – Alexander Von Humbolt’s New World
Andrea Wulf
Penguin Random House 2015

(From the book cover) “Alexander Von Humbolt (1769 – 1859) was one of the most famous scientists of his age, a visionary German naturalist and polymath whose discoveries forever changed the way we understand the natural world. Among his most revolutionary ideas was a radical conception of nature as a complex and interconnected global force that does not exist for the use of humankind alone. In North America alone, Humbolt’s name still graces towns, counties, parks, bays, lakes, mountains and a river. And yet the man has been all but forgotten.”

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I just finished 'A sailor, a chicken, an incredible voyage' (Guirec Soudee). Writing style is a little odd (partly a 'lost in translation' thing, I think) but huge respect for the sailing he (and Momo) did! .. at only ~19-20 years old. There's something impressive (odd??) about Frenchmen and epic solo sailing ;-)

I just started Ann Davidson's 'My Ship is So Small' - solo transAt in the early 1950s (first woman, I think)- only one chapter in - interesting (old fashioned and self-effacing) writing style, but enjoyable so far.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I just finished 'A sailor, a chicken, an incredible voyage' (Guirec Soudee). Writing style is a little odd (partly a 'lost in translation' thing, I think) but huge respect for the sailing he (and Momo) did! .. at only ~19-20 years old. There's something impressive (odd??) about Frenchmen and epic solo sailing ;-)

I just started Ann Davidson's 'My Ship is So Small' - solo transAt in the early 1950s (first woman, I think)- only one chapter in - interesting (old fashioned and self-effacing) writing style, but enjoyable so far.
Author name correction: Ann Davison

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
For those in New England area look for "The Coast of Summer" by Anthony Bailey.
Sailing New England Waters from Shelter Island to Cape cod

bumbugo

Member I
When I Put Out to Sea by Nicolette Milnes. in 1971 she was the first woman to solo sail non stop across the Atlantic.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
When I Put Out to Sea by Nicolette Milnes. in 1971 she was the first woman to solo sail non stop across the Atlantic.
I'll get that one too. Thanks!
Interesting that Wiki claims Milnes was first woman to sail the Atlantic solo (UK to US), and says the same thing about Ann Davison (in 1952-53; Canaries to Dominica). I wonder what the distinction is.

bumbugo

Member I
I'll get that one too. Thanks!
Interesting that Wiki claims Milnes was first woman to sail the Atlantic solo (UK to US), and says the same thing about Ann Davison (in 1952-53; Canaries to Dominica). I wonder what the distinction is.
It's explained in the intro and forward in the reprint of Milnes book. Ann Davison made several stops.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Davison sailed from Portsmouth to France, Spain, Gibraltar, and Morocco, then to the Canaries, before crossing the Atlantic (non-stop). She intended to go to the Canaries directly from England, but had all sorts of problems.
One might argue (uncharitably) that Milnes’ departure point was part-way across the Atlantic too ;-)

I bought a used first edition of Milnes’ book on eBay just now - looking forward to that one next.