• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rebed sea hood

clayton

Member III
I removed the sea hood on my 32-200 to pull the sliding hatch and clean the area out. Any idea on what the sea hood and screws were originally bedded with. Cleaning original sealant out, was laid in pretty thick as a water dam, white, rubbery, fairly tenacious - 5200/4200 perhaps?. Any recommendations on what to use to rebed - butyl tape, 4200? Thanks, appreciate any input!
Clayton

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Almost every factory-installed deck fitting on our '88 was bedded with 5200. Brutally Tenacious stuff, and I do not use or advise it. My preference for many years has been clear LifeSeal, but there are a number other recommended sealant/adhesives to choose from.
I have also used some the "Bed It" butyl material from Maine Sail. It is great stuff also.
By coincidence I am pulling off our sea hood cover later this week.... nothing like a pandemic with border and port closures to give us a good excuse to catch up on maintenance. :)

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
On a related note: I never knew what these drain holes on the sea hood did:

20160406_191955.jpg

There are 3 on each side. I finally sprayed some water in the companionway hatch track while cleaning, and watched it drain out these holes. Well, one hole on each side was clogged. Then I sprayed a water stream directly into each hole. A good bit of brown gunk and some straw remnants of a two- year-old birds nest came sliding out the companionway track.

And no leaks on the interior!

clayton

Member III
Shot of underside of sea hood, balsa core in center. Traveler track bolts partially to the sea hood on my model, threads into a tapped aluminum (I assume) bar embedded in the laminate. (Towers at ends of track thread into tapped plates embedded in the cabin top.). 4 hours plus with a sharp chisel to scrape all the 5200 off the underside of the hood. Another 3 cleaning it off the deck laminate. Can’t get all of it out of the tapped holes. Going to rebed with butyl tape. Thanks Loren for recommending MaineSail, butyl tape from him definitely a different product than the rv store tape.
Clayton

Attachments

• 1A2A61C7-F236-47F8-B510-75FAF1126BA4.jpeg
    1A2A61C7-F236-47F8-B510-75FAF1126BA4.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 30
  • 147519C6-7B22-40F4-95FE-5BF941FB486B.jpeg
    147519C6-7B22-40F4-95FE-5BF941FB486B.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 31

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Hi Clayton,
My 1983 E30+ sea hood came off easily enough but what I found was that for each screw, there was dab of 5200. The screws pass through the 5200 and into the roof of the cabin causing leaks. My repair was to 1) "fix" screw holes with Totalboat Faring compound, 2) rip 1/2" marine ply and run it around sea hood for the screws to set in, 3) fiberglass marine ply, 4) gelcoat, 5) pre-drill screw holes and put sea hood back on.

No more screw holes in cabin roof, no more leaks.

Mark "Souleman" Soule

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Mark do you have any photos of your seahood fix with the plywood insert? I am going to tackle this one soon. Thanks

Doug