• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Recommendations for a replacement head/holding tank seacocks

Sailhound

Member II
I am pulling my 1972 e32 for survey and bottom paint. The seacock valves for the in and out of the head and holding tank look original, the old screw down valve and are pretty corroded. I thought i might as well replace them while I'm out. Can anyone recommend a good brand that isn't overpriced, and let me know what sizes i might need? I'm guessing a 2" for the outgoing?

Thanks,
Alex

Bob Brigham

Member II
Boaters land has bronze Groco seacocks and thru hulls for sale at about twenty percent less then other big marine stores...Groco is a good brand...not a Spartan Marine seacock, but good nonethelessCheers,Bob

Sailhound

Member II
Thanks Bob!

I'm on the wecst coast, but I'll look up the brand. Any idea what size I'll be needing? I have the e32 and e32-2 manuals and I'm not seeing the specs. BTW, andy idea how to tell if I have a e32 or an e32-2?

Thanks!
Alex

Bob Brigham

Member II
Every boat model takes different size thru hulls and seacocks. If you have the hose stock number, a marine supplier can help you figure out seacock and thru hull size. My head intake on my E28 is 3/4, but it takes a 1 inch hose...no idea on your 32.2

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
BTW, any idea how to tell if I have a e32 or an e32-2?

Per my info the E-32 years & hull #s were:

E/32 – I# 1 (1967) thru # 24 (1967)
E/32 – II# 101 (1969) thru # 573 (1978)

<tbody>
</tbody>

The later vintage 32s started in 1985.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
From the picture on your site bio and the year of your boat, it is an Ericson 32-2. Believe me, that model looks nothing like the early E-32-1.

Loren

e38 owner

Member III
A few years ago I replaced all the seacocks. Ericson had a few different configurations. Not as standard as boats have now. I also found some pretty tight fits. My preference is the Bronze ones. However due to threading issues I needed to uses Forspar Maralon for a couple of them. The advantage being they don't corrode. The disadvantage the handle can break off in your hand. That being said if possibe I would remove and measure what is there. You will probably have to replace the thru hulls also. Then order up what you need. It gets a little tricky between thread types etc. Most of my through hulls were not on barbed hose fittings so that made sizing and measuring a little more difficult.

Bob Brigham

Member II
As others have suggested on other threads, probably a good idea to order all at once...bronze thru hulls, bronze seacocks, AND, pipe to hose fittings. In many cases you will be reducing from your seacock to the barbed hose fitting...for example...my engine intake on my E28 is 3/4 for thru hull and seacock, but needs a reducing fitting, or bushings and fitting to fit 5/8 hose...check everything very carefully...

Sailhound

Member II
Groco Valves

Looks like my West Marine has Groco in stock. Once the boat is hauled out, I am just going to take the old valves and thruhulls into the store.

Thanks for the help!

Sailhound

Member II
Just had the marine guys do it

They are putting in the Groco's. And having the pro's do it, i have someone to blame if the boat sinks. :)