• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Reef points and main sail design.

David Grimm

E38-200
Just took this picture of my main sail. See these little grommets. Should I be tying the sail to the boom through these points when reefing? Also the one all the way at the top of the sail. Is that a 3rd reef point?

Fair winds,

Dave

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Your sail has two Reefs.
No idea what a grommet might be for, up near the top.
Looks like the sail also has a "Dutchman" system to help it flake when lowered. No need for lazy jacks, if I understand that scheme. Further, having that system of holding the folds in place, you might not need "reefing ties".

The little row of grommets along each reef are for the "reefing ties" that use light line to tidy up the folds in the reefed sail. Never tied too tightly, tho. They help to reduce windage and flapping, and do not "hold the sail" down. All of the force/strain is taken by the reinforced grommet at the rear, which takes the force to the end of the boom.

David Grimm

E38-200
Thanks Loren, Yes thats the Dutchman System. Little tricky setting up but it works. I wouldn't want to have to repair it in a rough sea with any ammout of wind though. It's hard enough to set up each year at the dock. That little grommet at the top then remains a mystery.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
David - Having sailed Xanthus for 24 years with a Dutchman on the main I never felt the need for the reefing ties I used on my previous boat.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You can ignore them even if you don't have a furling system. The extra sail just hangs there harmlessly. Tying reef points means they have to be untied before shaking out the reef, which is just, well, kinda unnecessary.

I'd say few use the grommets at all these days. Used to be that sails came with ties affixed, one each grommet, on either side of the sail.
Our gaff-rigged oyster boat had three reefs like that. A gaff mainsail is enormous, and all that canvas cloth would be in the way when hanging if not tied down.

On our high aspect ratio rigs with short booms it's just not an issue.

East Wind reef points.jpg