• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Refit my Ericson 27

wynkoop

Member III
Interesting the factory fuel tank was under the cockpit sole behind where the shaft exits the hull. I guess a previous owner wanted to get more weight forward.

Thanks for the totalboat info. I guess that is what I will use next summer. I already use totalboat penetrating epoxy on all wood work I do in the boat.

Sailingfun

Member III
Interesting the factory fuel tank was under the cockpit sole behind where the shaft exits the hull. I guess a previous owner wanted to get more weight forward.

Thanks for the totalboat info. I guess that is what I will use next summer. I already use totalboat penetrating epoxy on all wood work I do in the boat.
What somebody explains to me here was some of these Ericson were finished with owner specs. For example, mine has an MD7A Volvo engine with saildrive, which was optional.
I really was very happy when I found out the diesel tank was in front rather than on the lazarette. I read horror history regarding remove and replace the diesel tank down there.

wynkoop

Member III
My boat came with a 25 HP Palmer P60 in gas. 4 cylinders and 420 lbs. Gasoline tank aft as described. When I went to diesel I just pumped the tank out, sold the gas to the local jetski rental at 20c less per gallon than the gas station, and plumbed in a return line. Thankfully the tank is in good shape. I think it might be able to be removed via the lazarette, but if I ever have to remove it I may cut it up and get a new one built that will be easier to put back in.

I suspect the tank was put in before the deck was put on the hull.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The E-27 had a very long production run, and evolved via a deck mold change. From the gas auxiliary to the later diesels. Running changes would happen above and below decks, as customer desires and comments were processed.
A success story for Ericson and for all of the owners 'downstream', but also sometimes challenging when comparing parts, 40 to 50 years later.
I used to do some crewing on one for club racing, and all of us were impressed with how well the interior was designed for cruising and yet how nicely it sailed.
:egrin:

Sailingfun

Member III
Surprising me how fun is to sail the E27 and the latest history regarding some E27 going around the world.
It's a very nice design for a weekend of nautical camping.
Rain is over the Bay Area so work is stopped but I would start with the engine NMEA2000 conversion this week.
It's almost time to run to the delta for well-deserved bottom paint and swim platform at the back

GrockSounder

I check all, and finally, I found C head is a good balance price/presentation. I used it for the last 2 years my liveaboard boat and It's a good product!
Highly recommendable!
Which Composting head did you get. I was looking them over, and they have a large foot print and will had to fit into my 29.
Hey Frick. Did you figure this out? I also have an E29 and notice the footprint is about 18-20 inches deep depending on model. Height and width is not a problem but how can you fit depth-wise? I measured about a foot to the back panel. I am thinking this had to be replaced or cut into to fit the head.

frick

Member III
Hey Frick. Did you figure this out? I also have an E29 and notice the footprint is about 18-20 inches deep depending on model. Height and width is not a problem but how can you fit depth-wise? I measured about a foot to the back panel. I am thinking this had to be replaced or cut into to fit the head.
I let this project along for a bit as I had some health issues. This thinking about it though.

Sailingfun

Member III
I finally put today the order for the AIS transceiver and AIS antenna through Milltechmarine.
I choose a CSTDMA technology rather than a more powerful SOTDMA because anyway, I would rarely go bluewater.
The antenna is a Morad, way the best antenna for marine solutions.
Then, I need to go to the top of the mast to install the wireless wind sensor, the AIS antenna and check everything up there ;)
I received the rudder wheel from Scandia. Looks fabulous! will post pictures later

Sailingfun

Member III
After almost a year, I back to finish this project.
I start installing the nmea2K backbone; "Tototo" has a very complex system, almost everything runs over nmea2K.
I installed the triton instrument, simrad engine and run a conduit in order to cut the run around the boat for AC, DC and nmea.
Next stop will be install the VHF (with a raymarine converter) and go from there to the loop.
Will post picture when I finished.
Feel good to survive the past year and back to this sailboat