• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Refrigeration Question

Jim Whiting

My aged Adler-Barbour seems to run all the time, and one of the copper tubes (about 10 feet long) leading from the compressor to the cold plate is coated with a thick layer of frost.

The inside of the fridge itself is just about the right temperature...not too hot and not too cold, so
I'm thinking it's not the thermostat making it run all the time.

I'm not sure how much insulation there is, but the lids are in good shape and from the starboard cockpit locker I can see that a P.O. had added some foam insulation outboard of the box. Should the coolant line be so cold?

Thanks for any thoughts,
Jim Whiting
s/v Orca, 1971 Ericson 39
Marina del Rey

Bob Ells

Member I
Jim,

The frosting pipe should be covered with insulation - your heat loss from that line could be what is causing your unit to run longer than it should.

Bob Ells - E26 - Second Wind - Boston

Howard Keiper

Hi, Jim:

I think I have the same refridge as you do in my E-35. My compressor unit is mounted fairly close to the box, which makes for a 2' coil of excess tubing which I insulated with that gray colored foam material used for that very purpose.

You can get it in any hardware store I keep the insulated coil on top of my fuel tank...very convenient. I also have all the installation documentation including service info if you need it

One other thing...I went through this a few weeks ago: same symptoms. Be absolutely sure that the connections on that little barrier block where the thermostat and fan motor wires are connected are bright and tight.

hk

Larry Modrcin

I have a new 38 Ericson with Adler barbour refrigeration and the copper line has an insulation wrap around the line.

Might help.

Larry

John Hanson

Jim,

Make sure the coldplate is free of ice, or is not blocked off from circulating air inside.

Ice believe it or not has good insulating properties. If the cold plate can't extract heat from the box, it trys to extract it from somewhere else,thus frost on the line outside.

John

Jim Whiting

Glyn,

The air circulator sounds like a good idea...keep me posted on your research! John Hanson suggested that poor circulation and/or frost in the freezer could be my problem. I think he has it right. The frosty copper line is probably the return line to the compressor, and it's
frosty because it's still cold after passing through the cold plate, due to poor convection therewithin.

I probably exacerbated the problem by filling the freezer with icecube trays and frozen juice in a misguided
attempt to add thermal mass to the icebox prior to our last cruise, thinking this would keep the box colder during long periods with the compressor turned off to conserve electricity.

I have a course of action: Insulate the return line, defrost the icebox, remove some of the stuff from the icebox to allow for air circulation, and most importantly, add a small fan to push air past the cold plate into the refrigerator section. Let's see if that does it!

Thanks all,
Jim
s/v Orca, E39

Glyn Judson

Jim,

An outfit in Santa Fe Springs called McMaster-Carr sells 18 different 12v DC fans that they call Tubeaxial Cooling
Fans. You and I know them as eqipment or muffin fans.

Their smallest is 1" square X 1" thick and pushes 1.2 CFM. No specs on current draw, but if you call them I'll bet they can tell you. Another one is 3.15" square X 1" thick and moves 27 CFM. They range in price from $20 to $32 each.

I'll call Adler Barbour tomorrow to get a recommendation as to what fan to get if any. I'll let you know the results.

Call them at 562.692.5911

McMaster-Carr
9630 Norwalk Blvd.
Santa Fe Springs CA
90670-2932

Later,

Glyn