• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Refueling problems

skywalker

Member II
Does anyone else have problems with the diesel foaming and backing up through the line and spilling out? It takes me like 30 mintues to add 25 gallons. There is no way I can hold that nozzle full open to get fuel in there. I have to let it trickle out into a funnel to fuel up.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Wotta Messsssssss

The "foaming diesel fill" demon is everywhere! Just last week I was crewing with a friend on his 35 foot double ender and we needed to fill up after a two day coastal delivery. (No wind, all motoring.)
The nozzle at the Astoria marina was evidently set up for a fast flow for fish boats and big yachts, and the first attempt shot about a cup of diesel all over the cockpit seat where this design has it's fill pipe.
After some muttering the skipper got the hang of a very soft squeeze on the nozzle and even then had to do kind of a long series of small squeezes to get the fuel in without its foaming over. About 35 gallons was needed, and it took some long minutes to git-r-done.

FYIW dept: On our own boat, I rerouted the vent line as part of the tank replacement project and removed quite a bit of horizontal vent hose. This seemed to help.
Still, I sometimes have to be really careful with that initial fill startup. Also, any dock that mostly caters to big boats will have the larger nozzle size and.... there you go again...
:rolleyes:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Sounds like maybe the fill hose has a bend in it that causes the fuel to back up? Luckily my fill hose makes an almost straight shot down from the side deck to the tank. But since I always fear getting water in my fuel I like to use a filter funnel, which then makes it hard trying to control the fuel flow from the pump into the funnel. That's why I usually end up filling a 5-gal can at the fuel dock and then siphoning from there into the funnel back at the marina, which the marina doesn't like but I do it anyway...

skywalker

Member II
Ya a bend in the filler hose occured to me but thats going to be difficult to check the whole length of it since most of it disappears underneath floor boards. I did find that using a 5 gallon can works much better because it doesn't foam out of the can then. Thanks Loren I did a cursory check of the vent line but perhaps it requires a more thorough examination.

chasandjudy

chas and judy
refueling

:egrin:
Ya a bend in the filler hose occured to me but thats going to be difficult to check the whole length of it since most of it disappears underneath floor boards. I did find that using a 5 gallon can works much better because it doesn't foam out of the can then. Thanks Loren I did a cursory check of the vent line but perhaps it requires a more thorough examination.

I have found that most dock attendants will- if asked slow their check valve down, but you still have to be aware of what is happening stop-look- and listen has to be your watch words , with shore side co-operation I can take on 40 litres in about 10 or 12 min. I have been adding a fuel additive with each fill up before I start I don"t know if this helps keep the foam down or not.
Charlie owner sv Eden E30+ over 14 years

dt222

Member III
I had the same problem the one time I refueled from a dock this year that caters to larger and commercial boats (Gloucester, MA). I will follow Mark's lead and fill a 5 gallon can, and then fill the boat with a funnel from there. This causes no problems.

Don

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
The only problem with the 5 gal can, for me at least, is that it is unwieldy. I first tried pouring out of the can's spout into the funnel but when the can is full it weighs about 40 lbs; trying to manuever it around the lifelines to reach the fuel fill was tricky and prone to spillage. I also had to deal with keeping the funnel from falling out of the fuel fill. I ended up propping the can up on the cockpit coaming and siphoning the diesel into the funnel.

A neat trick to not have to drink diesel fuel is to use two hoses and a rag when siphoning; put a long hose and a short hose into the can and stuff a rag around them to seal it. Blow into the short hose to create pressure and fuel will start flowing out of the long hose and start the siphon. No diesel breath!

dt222

Member III
Mark- great idea with the 2 hoses if I don't have Lauren's siphon. I'm sucking unleaded (A-4), but same principal. Mine is an E27, so the fill port is on the cockpit sole, and I have a long-necked funnel that is flat on the sides, so it rests nicely against the side of the cockpit. Still a heavy load on a 5 gal can, but I can 2 hand it and pour slowly. I wonder if part of the problem is due to the foaming nature of commercial fuel nozzles instead of the steady pour from a can.

Don

skywalker

Member II
P u

Thanks Loren for that siphon hose link. I did check it out. Now that I see it I have a very similiar hose to change the water in my aquarium's except the fitting is made of plastic not brass.

mherrcat-I have heard of that idea of the double hose in a jerry can. Never tried it yet but we used a similiar principle in my other boat a Catalina 25. In the fall instead of paying for a pumpout we would open up the access cap on top of the holding tank and then attach a hose to the waste recepticle. We would then stick a leaf blower into the access port, seal the hole with some rags and turn the leaf blower on. As the tank pressurizes it soon flushes out other end and into a nearby field. The grass became very green there after a few years as well. Not a pleasant task but something that needed to be done.