• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Regards to aerodynamics vs. wind...be it sail or wing >>>

Scott B.

Cheating maybe...but the pilot had to have some epic skills, or at least some serious luck. Talk about "sticking" the landing!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Bush pilots have epic skills, for sure. But in this case the stall speed of the (Super Cub?) is nearly the same as the wind speed, which makes it easy. if a plane stops flying (stalls) at 35 mph, it also starts flying at 35 mph. Which means, taking off directly into a 30 mph wind, he would be airborne after going only five mph.

Great fun.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
The video is good, but he passed on the opportunity for epic. Epic would have been aiming into the wind 20 or 30 degrees versus a direct headwind. That would have required several degrees of bank held into the wind, with opposite rudder to keep from actually turning, suspended in a zero-groundspeed side-slip to a one-wheel touchdown.

In theory, he could have kept the downwind wheel in the air as long as he wanted, until cutting the power and touching down fully. In reality, gusts and directional changes in the wind would have likely brought the fun to an end sooner, in a firm and side-loaded touchdown.

Still, it could have been epic.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
The Potomac River cuts through a mountain at Harper's Ferry WV creating a high speed flow well above. When it would be windy, we used to take a 7AC Champ or J3 Cub over the gap, descend a bit, and fly through backward.
Good times!

Chris Mc.

Member III
The Potomac River cuts through a mountain at Harper's Ferry WV creating a high speed flow well above. When it would be windy, we used to take a 7AC Champ or J3 Cub over the gap, descend a bit, and fly through backward.
Good times!
I know the feeling & have done the same there in a Cub above the Shenandoah. Tried it in my RV4, but not the same.

Gaviate

Member III
So the natural next question is: are we all as good in our boat handling, bringing our boat to a gentle stop as we step onto the dock, lines in hand to tie her up at our leisure, while single handing, with everyone watching!
Frank
Aaahhhh, it seems that a quest has been placed upon us!!
I'd appreciate the loan of your boat so that I may practice:)
In all seriousness, whilst learning to sail on Sonars in Sheboygan, we did (attemted) to do this each time, both leaving and returning to the dock, as the Sonars had no aux. propulsion systems. Timing and finesse of sail trim was tantamount to any degree of success. Actually not to stressful with instructor, "crew" of 3 onboard, and some days a human fender on the dock, as we approached. Ample room to manuver to windward for final approach. Great Fun!! And as for learning to sail....well most days I'm still just practicing!!