• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rehabilitation in Winter--10 Minute Video

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Thank you Christian!
Having been locked down due to C-19 (and now with both Pfizer shots) and now locked down again due to frozen streets in unprepared Texas...it's a pleasure watching your video!

Last edited:

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Thanks for the little dose of MDR nostalgia and wheel pilot envy. And the dolphins. I lived at 2nd and Ocean Park and used to go down to Station 26 just about every night to watch them surf. Once, they joined me when I was out in my C-15 (never take your hand off the tiller and never let go of the mainsheet).

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Thanks for another great video. I'm a fan !
Regarding the lazy jacks. I am still playing with my retractable lazy jacks, deciding whether to deploy before sailing or right before I drop the main. I don't have a cover with slots and extra snaps, so I retract them before I put the sail away. It's a bit of extra work, but if I had a cover with slots, I see that there is some extra work to put that away. Maybe a wash ?
One detail I noticed in your video is that the trailing edge of your rudder doesn't seem to match the fillet on the hull. I'm wondering if your boat got a new rudder, slightly larger, at some point or maybe Ericson made it way.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I can't decide which is easier. But if starting over, I think I'd skip the slots in the cover. Too many snaps, and the lines carry rainwater onto the sail (although I haven't noticed any ill effect).

That's the stock rudder, as far as I know.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
I fully retract the Jack’s and if I hoist the main while still on the mooring, I will deploy but I often forget and then it’s lock the wheel, run up and do one side, run back, stabilize, run up, do the other side, or bring a kid to do it for me.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I fully retract the Jack’s and if I hoist the main while still on the mooring, I will deploy but I often forget and then it’s lock the wheel, run up and do one side, run back, stabilize, run up, do the other side, or bring a kid to do it for me.
The advantage to deploying them later when you take the sail down is that you don't have to worry about them being to tight and rubbing against the camber of the sail. I have a tiller pilot to hold course into the wind while I deploy and lower the sail. (I say all of this ,but I might decide to do it a different way next month :).