• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

remote surveillance of your boat

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I recently installed a WI-FI hotspot 5G router on my boat - a Netgear Nighthawk. It works great and I bought separate a month-by-month Tmobile subscription (5GB data) which serves my area pretty well. The subscription is $20/month.

I can use the hotspot for internet when I am on the boat (and also my granddaughter can connect using her iPad :)), but the primary intention here is to be able to connect to a few wireless devices (camera and moisture sensors) on my boat, so I can monitor the boat remotely.

I have google Nest cameras at home which I am very happy with but the data requirement (which includes recording) is pretty high. You need about 30GB per month and I don't want to pay for that much on my boat. Ideally what I would to do is install some kind of sensor that detects bilge water level and sends me a message if the level is exceeded. If I get such a message, I would then look through the webcam to check things out further. It would be nice if the web cam also had a motion detector to check for any movement in the boat (for security purposes.). So, rather than have a webcam that does continuous, recording (requiring a lot of data), I just need one which has a iphone app that would allow me to look through it on demand when needed and also notify me if there is any motion. Same with the water sensor. If the water level is exceeded, the sensor would ideally just send me a text message.

Does anyone have a similar setup and would like to share their configuration ?