Removal of Glued-Down Cabin Sole [Master Thread]

Bolo

Sustaining Member
I believe that small hole in front of the mast is used to tighten the keel bolt. I think there is a posting about it somewhere on this site with a photo of it being done, but I maybe wrong. Maybe someone else seeing this reply has a better memory then me.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My '85 E32-3 had a ragged 4" square in the vertical TAFG, cut awkwardly by a jigsaw in close quarters. I always figured somebody at the factory needed to get a wrench on the hidden keel bolt.

I never figured out those two mast-adjacent compartments. One is a shower sump. But which one? It sorta looks like the little bilge pump is in the wrong one. I didn't bother about it because I never used the shower (that model doesn't have a stall, you just get the entire head wet. I used an extended shower-wand hose through the opening port to shower on deck.)

keel bolt access E32-3.JPG...E32-3 shower bilge pump detail.JPG

Last edited:

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I believe that small hole in front of the mast is used to tighten the keel bolt. I think there is a posting about it somewhere on this site with a photo of it being done, but I maybe wrong. Maybe someone else seeing this reply has a better memory then me.
Than makes sense: maybe …position a socket on the bolt via the access hole in that port side locker, poke a long extension rod through the hole by the mast, into the socket, then tighten the bolt via that extension rod. ???

Bolo

Sustaining Member
Than makes sense: maybe …position a socket on the bolt via the access hole in that port side locker, poke a long extension rod through the hole by the mast, into the socket, then tighten the bolt via that extension rod. ???
OK, I found what I thought I remembered. When you click on the link below and look at the photos you’ll see what I was referring to as far as access to the forward keel bolt.

Post in thread 'Keel bolt access on 32-3'
https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/keel-bolt-access-on-32-3.19388/post-150866

Bolo

Sustaining Member
Another step in the process of replacing the T&H sole. All patterns are cut with templates A, B, C re-trimmed in places after I took them back to the boat to check their fit. D & E were cut using acetate tracings of the old T&H which still need to be checked for fit, but not before their corresponding old sole sections are pulled up. Eventually all of them will serve as a temporary sole until it's time to cut out the new T&H pieces. Strange to see them laid out on my garage floor like this.

E32-3 sole templates.jpg

Reactions: JSM

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Almost looks too confining to actually walk on and live on, when viewed that way. I recently had our refinished sole pieces laid in our garage and it was difficult to believe that these were the roomy-enough walking surface in a 34 foot sailboat.
What with all of the actual "elbow room" inside the cabin, the T&H sole area is rather deceptive, isn't it?
:)

Bolo

Sustaining Member
Almost looks too confining to actually walk on and live on, when viewed that way. I recently had our refinished sole pieces laid in our garage and it was difficult to believe that these were the roomy-enough walking surface in a 34 foot sailboat.
What with all of the actual "elbow room" inside the cabin, the T&H sole area is rather deceptive, isn't it?
:)
It is deceptive and considering that when I'm on board I'm usually with my "first mate" so it's sometimes close quarters. Good thing we like each other! :D