• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Remove starter motor solenoid

Stuart 28-2

Member II
My 1988 28-2 has an M12 Universal diesel engine. Anybody got tips on removal of the starter solenoid? Can it be removed without removing the starter motor?
It looks like a nightmare to get at.

JSM

Member III
Why do you want to remove the solenoid ? If your starter is acting up it's probably easier to just pull the starter and replace it with a new one. New starters are fairly inexpensive (except from Westerbeke ) and come with a new solenoid.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
?? New solenoid contacts = $0.50. New starter = $100-$300. Although I know nothing about that particular boat/motor combination. I don’t think I’ve ever taken off a solenoid without first removing the starter. Would be cool if it were possible though.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If the starter is buried under the engine, as mine was on the 32-3, the answer was a socket wrench extension.

It looked impossible but wasn't.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If the starter is buried under the engine, as mine was on the 32-3, the answer was a socket wrench extension.

It looked impossible but wasn't.
On our former (OEM) model m25xp, it took a short extension plus a wobbler, for the inner bolt. difficult.
When I had it rebuilt at about a thousand hours, the shop owner said that he routinely replaced the solenoid, and it was not expensive.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Also, if you take the starter out, have it serviced by a local alternator shop. Several of us have been amazed at the new vigor that results from a cheap rehab, which in my case made the engine turn over twice as rapidly.

Stuart 28-2

Member II
Thanks all. I ended up replacing just the solenoid. It was $34 and I thought would be much easier to get out than the starter motor after looking again. Some PB Blaster and the right size Phillips head made it much easier. Getting at the electrical terminals was not so easy.
The other and perhaps initial problem I had was lack of continuity through return lines. After almost 7 months in the boat yard there was some sort of coating on the crimped terminals. I cut them off and crimped on new ones.
With new fuel lifter pump, new starter solenoid, and repairs wiring the engine started first press of the start button. What a relief!