• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

removing hot water tank

seizethebay

Member I
I have an E 28 1985. The hot water tank has rusted at the bottom so I want to remove. I diconnected everything and thought it would be an easy job to take her out but no.
Any suggestions how to cut the tank?

Glyn Judson

WHot water tank removal.

Dear friend, I too was faced with that dilemma with the six-gallon tank located to the port of the engine with not enough room to muscle over the engine. I ended up removing all the fasteners holding the sheet metal to the top and bottom and removed them piece by piece as each was freed. It turned out that the actual tank itself was slim enough to easily pass over the engine. My plan from the beginning was to use the space for two additional batteries to power our Adler Barbour so I never faced the problem of how to get a new one of the same size back in. There are some smaller tanks on the market, Atwood, Isotemp, Raritan, Seaward and Vetus coming to mind and I'm sure there are more. Check the measurements and determine which will work for you. Some can even be mounted vertically or horizontally expanding your choices of location. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I had the same problem on my E35-3 and used the same method as Glyn. I replaced it with an Isotemp slimline which went back in easily. I believe these are the best tanks made. SS throughout with solid foam insulation. No glass lined tanks like you find with the Raritans.

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Wow!

Loren & Tim, It looks like I've been moved up the evolutionary food chain thanks to you Tim. You made my day, have a happy 4th, Glyn

Glyn Judson

Food chain envy.

Tim, Oh thanks a lot, now this means I have to move back down in the food chain to make way for Loren to regain his rightful place. ; - ) Glyn

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
staying under the radar

Tim, Oh thanks a lot, now this means I have to move back down in the food chain to make way for Loren to regain his rightful place. ; - ) Glyn

Oh no... Further up the chain ya go the more likely to be noticed and eaten by an Orca!
That's why it's called the "cruel sea."

:)

LB

Last edited:

seizethebay

Member I
Thanks

Thanks all for the suggestions. I removed everything but she still is too big. I can not believe it as it makes me think the tank went in before the engine. That would be a bad design and not true of Ericson.
My plan is to take a jigsaw to it today.

I am also having trouble getting the water hose back onto the heat exchange and the impeller back into the pump. Back luck does come in 3's. :esad:

joe-fran

Member II
hot water tank removal

My 1987 E-28 will be having the same problem. Although it still functions fine, it's only a matter of time.

Keep me posted on how you eventually get the old one out and what Make and Model you use for a replacement.

Good luck

Joe

Attachments

• water heater.jpg
    water heater.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 319

stgermain45

Member I
Water Heater removal

I have JUST accomplished this last week on our 1987 E28. In our case, our exhaust riser had cracked and we had it already removed for replacement. We figured it was the perfect opportunity to also replace our non-working water heater. It only needed a new thermostat but was as rusted out as the one pictured in this thread, so it was time to go. As Glyn described, for removal of the 6 gal. Raritan, we had to remove the top and bottom black lids of the outer casing. It doesn't look like much and I wouldn't have believed it, but it gave just the right amount of clearance to slide it over the engine. Without removing the top and bottom lids, it would not fit.

We went with an Isotemp Slim 25 and it went in easily. I'll be finishing up fitting all the hoses to it this week.

-Chris

Bob Brigham

Member II
Thinking about simply removing hot water tank all together. What should I watch out for if I move forward with this project? 1988 Ericson 28. Square tank to starboard of engine when facing engine...no obstructions for removing piece by piece...

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I don't remember how the engine coolant hoses route to and from the water heater, but you will need to close that loop; most likely by installing a new, shorter hose. It would probably also be a good idea to remove any AC electrical wiring all the way back to the water heater circuit breaker on the main AC panel if this is a permanent removal. (Or at least terminate the wiring in such a way that there is no posibility of a short circuit and maybe put a piece of tape on that breaker switch so it can't be turned on accidentally. This would be the thing to do if you think you may reinstall the water heater sometime in the future.)

You will also need to terminate the cold water supply hose to the heater so it doesn't leak and also terminate the hot water supply hose from the heater to the galley and head so it doesn't collect crud in it. (Again, you may want to reinstall the water heater sometime in the future.)