• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replace a Raritan toilet with Jabsco

hotsushi

Our "new" 1988 E34-2 is bit of a mess and the first project before the First Mate comes aboard is a clean and functional powder room. Looking online I found the JABSCO Twist 'n' Lock Compact Toilet is inexpensive, $162, and has mostly positive reviews. The mounting holes are different so after some drilling, the deformed ends of the hoses were cut off, new hose clamps were added and it's ready for inspection! Note, it is less work to attach the hoses and clamps before installing the mounting bolts. Cheers!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Glad you are happy with it!
:)
(Insert pun about being flushed with pride....)

My experience with the older Jabsco marine heads was that they were: 1) always on sale, 2) were relatively inexpensive, 3) were poorly designed and inexpensively built. The Rariitan product was twice the money and worth every penny.
Perhaps the current Jabsco product is better, altho the best authority on the whole subject, Peggy Hall, still does not endorse them.

Note that to cure "odors" in an '88 boat, you will need to replace the hoses, and especially replace the factory manual pump in the head compartment. There are lots of past threads here concerning this.... As you have already noticed, this is not fun, but once you do it right you should be, to use a phrase, 'good to go' for another 20 years.

markvone

Sustaining Member
I rebuilt the original Raritan PHII head back in winter 2015 with the rebuild kit (PHRKII, ~ $60) from Raritan, who are still in business. The job was not particularly disgusting to do and the head is still working perfectly. The head design and parts quality are very high. Along with a complete hose replacement, adding freshwater flush and an increase in the holding tank vent size per Peggy Hall's book, I've had zero head odors ever since.
Note: Raritan heads are pre 1982 and post 1982 for rebuild kits:

Mark

peaman

Sustaining Member
Since I've had my 1987 boat for only a few months, I have no idea what age my Raritan PHII head, or any of its components are. I will put a rebuild kit in it soon, but assuming my head is original (it works fine, but I haven't used it much), what other parts should I replace now, and what spares should I have on board for cruising?

markvone

Sustaining Member
Correction: Raritan PHII heads are Pre/Post 1992 (not 1982 in post #3 above). So almost all our Ericson Raritan heads are PRE 1992 models.

Peaman, My head was original and still working fine when I got to head hoses (year 4 of my ownership, year 34 of boat life). Since I had the holding tank empty and the hoses and tank removed from the boat (the worst part), I wanted to complete the job with a head rebuild.
If no bad head odors, you can wait as long as you want (even with head odors too, I guess). I don't carry any head spares except except this part from the pump handle (#1211PL in the diagram below) which I broke twice in the first 5 years, but not in the last 5 years.

Most folks maintain head health by minimum (me) to extreme control of head material ingestion. Extreme = no paper of any kind. Note: My head is VERY lightly used by mostly me, a few other adults (#1 only) and no children so I'm NOT a heavy user by any means.

Mark

Teranodon

Member III
Since I've had my 1987 boat for only a few months, I have no idea what age my Raritan PHII head, or any of its components are. I will put a rebuild kit in it soon, but assuming my head is original (it works fine, but I haven't used it much), what other parts should I replace now, and what spares should I have on board for cruising?
My PHII has served me well, but has required periodic attention. The first time it failed, I found that it was saturated with mineral deposits. The flapper and joker valves were almost completely frozen. After I cleaned everything out with acid, I realized that the base unit had a crack, so I replaced it.

The kit rebuild lasted a couple of years but, in the end, I had to replace the whole pump assembly. Now it's fine. I always carry a spare joker valve.

Initially, the low-grade hoses were saturated and smelly. I replaced them with heavy-duty Tridents. I also got a new tank from Ronco. I had them put the two output ports (pumpout and macerator) on the top of the tank. I had them put in a bigger vent fitting, and I installed an RV odor filter in the vent line.

Maintaining the black water system is no fun but it's like everything else on an Ericson: it's best to do the work yourself, so as to know your boat inside out.

saphira36

Member II
We're almost 3 months in on a new Jabsco Twist-n-Lock. We use it pretty heavily (every weekend, 5 people, 5 pump outs of the 20 gal tank already) and it seems to be doing alright. It didn't take long to develop a bit of a "shudder" if you try to go too fast. We have a ZERO toilet paper policy but 3 of our crew are teenagers so not 100% confident on adherence. :)

Wish we'd replaced the hoses at the same time but, meh, it's not too too bad. Also wish we had a larger holding tank given the size of our crew and 3 of them being women.