• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacement for Datamarine Depth Gauge??

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I did a recent blog post about how my depth transducer cable got wrapped around the dripless shaft seal and tried to sink the boat. Now it's time to replace the transducer: it's an old Datamarine unit.

Compass.2.1.jpg

The transducer cable was pulled tight and shredded in several place and has to be replaced. The yard said there are no new transducers that are compatible with the old display head. Has anyone replaced one of these depth display heads with something new that might still be made to fit in the original white display housing? Or, has found other acceptable solutions?

Thanks.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
In the end, it just wasn't practical to try to replace with original Datamarine equipment. Partly because those things are 30 years old now, and partly because insurance was involved.

Instead, I bought a Raymarine I-40 depth gauge and transducer kit. And then modified the old Datamarine display housing to hold it. I think it's a pretty good match.

20210124_204138.jpg 20210124_204158.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looking good, indeed.
Option B: I replaced our original three Datamarine round gauges with round Raymarine ST60 gauges. Many years ago. I did have to reduce the cutout size by a half inch total, using an FRP ring epoxied into place. The bezel of each instrument covered the reduced opening completely.

Those housings were the bee's knees, but our boat did not come with them -- we had all three dials on the cabin back.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FWIW, a custom instrument mount can be made by any plastics shop from a cardboard model, if you can't find a stock housing that works. For instance, the P-70 control head for the popular Ray wheel pilot is a bulkhead mount, and always needs a housing for binnacle mount (right photo). Cost is $100-$200.

Instrument console A.JPG...binnacle complete.jpg