• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacement Furling Unit for 1984 E38

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not a 38, but not too much smaller...

Hey all, looking to upgrade my headstay furling unit. Curious what models others have ended up using for their E38's. So far I have been leaning towards the ProFurl C320:
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|118|2358486|2358487&id=1792517

Any advice/suggestions for this project?

Thanks in advance,
David

For shear longevity, I like the Harken Mk 2 RF installed in 1995 on our boat. Your boat might use a slightly different model...

Loren

Guy Stevens

In Order of preference

#1 Harken Mk 4
#2 Schaefer

A note here in the list: (There are a lot of issues with Profurl units. The lack of longevity is just one of them. If you want a unit that will last and continue to work well out into the future, you need something that is well though out in terms of lower unit bearing, and extrusion connections. Pro Furl fails on both of these key components. The non marine grade sealed bearings in the lower unit, along with the Titanuim screws which are there only to corrode and should not have been make in that material are enough for me to not recommend them. Coupled with the screw system of extrusion connection which will invariably have loose or missing screws; which allow the extrusion sections to separate trapping the head sail in the gaps created make them one of those marine products which I classify as short cons to the boat owner. )

#25 Strange new contenders in the Market Place

#50 ProFurl
#51 One you make yourself out of spit bailing wire and a bit of chewing gum
#100 CDI