• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

replacement mixing elbow for Universal 5432

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
The elbow is replaced if it is rotted out and leaking. Post a couple pictures. Remove it and inspect it for carbon build-up and deterioration. Carbon build-up will eventually reduce engine performance. Near the raw water port is usually where the carbon will cling.

Does it leak? Can you remove it and inspect it?

atomic2797

Member I
bump. same issue. went to take the boat out today and it severed and was spewing exhaust and water into the engine compartment. whats the best solution here? universal replacement? custom job? any part numbers appreciated.

F46E7F4E-3DBC-4319-AB86-0CE2409C93DD.jpeg

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
See this thread:

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
It's not much more to buy some sched 80 SS pipe (straight and elbows), having it threaded first at the local plumbers, then after cutting with a zip disc, having the local welder put it all together.

atomic2797

Member I
thanks everyone for the replies. exactly the info i needed. not as big of a job as i was expecting, thankfully.

my last question is, looking at the connection between the manifold and the flange, it appears there are open water jackets. is this correct? do i need to drain the collant before seperating the two?

071CE412-D3EA-462D-8EC8-55118EFE9D95.jpeg

David Grimm

E38-200
Yes, You need to drain the coolant. There is a drain on the right side of the engine block that works well. There is also a little one on the exhaust manifold itself but doesnt look very user friendly and can turn out to be more of a headache than its worth.

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
You should probably get a new exhaust flange and gasket from Westerbeke. It is very easy to order parts directly from them using their online catalog. The website also has an M-40 parts diagram pdf which will help you identify part numbers.
If you have other questions about the whole process, feel free to PM me.
Mike Jacker