• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacement or upgrade of navigation lights

peaman

Sustaining Member
The nav lights on my 1987 E32-3 have served well for over three decades, and I am planning to replace, and maybe to upgrade them. The direct replacement fixtures are Aqua-Signal Series 25 lamps which burn 10 Watts to achieve the USCG required visibility of 1 NM. Among Aqua-Signal's other offerings, I could upgrade the bi-color side light unit to their Series 34 LED fixture which uses only 3W for a 2NM visibility. But since those have a different form factor, there may be issues with mounting (or aesthetics) of the replacement fixtures.

I wonder if anyone here has made that change, or has any other comments on replacement or upgrade of the original navigation lights.

Mark David

Member II
I have had great success replacing the bulbs in our original fixtures with 'Perko 71' LEDs...the transom light is bright enough to read SI's!!

kapnkd

kapnkd
During our long time TOTAL refit of our ‘73 E32-II, we went with all LED lighting - inside and out.

We figured battery drain savings and mostly long term reliability of the LED lighting VS older style systems that easily seemed to fail at the MOST inconvenient times will/would prove its worth.

To date, we are more than pleased with our choice. The batteries thank us as well and our reliability and piece of mind from a system that now seems to work no matter what nasty weather conditions prevail is well worth the changeover.

peaman

Sustaining Member
LED seems very much to be the best way forward for long life and low energy use.

I submitted this post as one who intends to do frequent coastal passages, with the occasional far-offshore passage. I think that for my use, the best solution will be to replace the deck-level devices in kind (along with their USCG approvals), and to then install a masthead tri-color LED fixture (Rule 25(b)) for off-shore use, with a switch to choose one or the other. Aqua-Signal offers their Series 34 LED Tri-Color Navigation / Anchor Light which uses less than 2W with 2NM visibility versus 20W (side lights plus stern) with 1NM visibility.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

As part of our re-wire and light upgrade on our mast this year, we changed the masthead light to this model.
we did have an early-design LED Perko light up there for over 15 years, but there was obvious weathering of the fixture and the lens.
I also changed out the foredeck and steaming light Aquasignal fixture for a different brand that is more robust. The old one would drop out the exposed Halogen bulb every few years (!). Poor design, sez me.

(well: Duh) Observaton: even here in a fresh water environment, the sun and rain really take a toll on these parts.

Last edited:

Teranodon

Member III
Since I practically never sail after dark (too many logs, crab pots, fliegende Holländers) I didn't pay much attention to my nav nights until I had to remove the bow pulpit. The wiring was pretty funky and I didn't feel like messing with it, so I bought a couple of "Navisafe Navilight" LED units from Defender. AA battery powered. They have a magnetic attachment, plus a safety lanyard. CG approved. Can be set to red, green, red/green, or white. Both are stored inside a single Talenti ice cream jar, safe and dry. I recommend them.

1635639513847.png

Navisafe1.jpg

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
As part of my bow hardware rearrangement (and because they were trashed) I replaced my Perko deck-level lights with the Aquasignal 25 bicolor on the pulpit. I’m happy with it, but a couple of notes:

The pulpit mount for this light seems to be discontinued, so you have to make your own. I suppose a couple of U-bolts and a bunch of caulking would work, really. But I tried to recreate the original one, more or less. I think if I did it today, I’d make the housing a bit larger and include an LED flood light or two in it as well - way forward of anything that could send blinding reflections back to the cockpit. (Handheld spots turn out to be less useful than I’d hoped.)

The LED festoon “bulb” for this fixture wasn’t cheap - you need the one with red LED’s on one side and green on the other to line up with the lenses.

While this was a relatively budget-minded way to get the boat in compliance with regulations, if you have the cash, it might be worth considering the 3-mile visibility models. To, you know, actually be visible.

I also have a set of those hockey-puck lights that Teranodon mentions, on Railblaza mounts. They live with the Zodiac but can be easily swapped between different small craft, as needed. And other toys (e.g. GoPro, beer holder, etc) can be snapped into the same mounts at other times. Could be used as backups to the mother ship, but I am pretty uncomfortable depending on buckets-full of little batteries to keep all the gadgets going. That said, one set of batteries lasts a couple of years in those, at my current usage rate.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Swapped every bulb on the boat for an LED save the anchor light because I’m not a climber. Very happy with the choice.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Funny Coincidence. Friend of mine was today discussing an interesting picture he saw of someone changing out a bow light fixture. They had an upside down umbrella rigged under their work to catch small parts that might drop into the water... !

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Funny Coincidence. Friend of mine was today discussing an interesting picture he saw of someone changing out a bow light fixture. They had an upside down umbrella rigged under their work to catch small parts that might drop into the water... !
Classic varsity move.