• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

replacement rudder help

livingston22002

I need to replace the rudder on my 30 foot ericson 1968 year. Also some fiberglass repair work will have to be done where the bottom bracket was. Does anyone have any experience with this and could direct me to a good boatyard in So. Cal to have this done?
Thanks Dan L.
Santa Barbara

HGSail

Member III
I have nothing but great experiences at Ventura Harbor Boatyard. They have always been honest and well Priced in their work. The GM's name is Mike.

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Can you "borrow" a J-24 rudder and set of gudgeons? (Or something similar if the freeboard is too much for the first idea.) I have seen boats in your general size range use something similar in order to qualify for Cat. One offshore races where an emergency rudder is a requirement.

LB

HGSail

Member III
Dan
Is the 1968 30' a full keel like the 1965 35-1. If it is you might be able to drive some temp. screws thru the bracket into the keel and then pic your transit day carefuly. If not something on the transom like what Loren discribed should work if you don't have an angled one.

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

windjunkee

Member III
Dan,

I had my rudder modified a couple of years ago. I took it to Dennis Choate at Dencho Marine in Long Beach. He did an excellent job and was very reasonable in his pricing. I was expecting to spend thousands and the whole job was done for less than $800.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason, E-32-2 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
In Channel Islands Harbor you can check out Anchors Way (Weigh?). They have a location in Ventura Harbor also, but just took over the old Channel Islands Boatyard in Channel Islands Harbor.

I had some work done at Bellport Anacapa Boatyard in CIH. They did a creditable job, but were somewhat inattentive to my requests to be updated on costs at various stages as the job progressed. Consequently there were some negotiations prior to paying the final invoice...

One thing they did do with my rudder was repair a crack and install a shim; the rudder no longer has the looseness it seemed to have before.

Whoever you use, make them give you a written estimate of the repair cost. It might change after they pull the boat and see what they are actually up against, but at least you will have an idea of the cost up front. Everything is open to negotiation these days...

livingston22002

1967 E-30 gudgeon help

i lost my rudder gudgeon (along with the rudder) ,the rudder is being made however I need help finding a replacement gudgeon it was cast bronze but stainlee would be better, any ideas where I might find this, old boatyards? .
Thanks
Dan L.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Also try the Sail Boat Junkyard (Long Beach)
real pick a part type junkyard,tons of sail boat parts.examples

12-15 lb anchor rode & chain $50
masts $250
winches $25 & up
booms $50
main sail $75
head sail $50

TONS AND TONS OF OTHER STUFF Dan 310-795-8978

And Kelly Marine (San Pedro)

http://www.kellymarine.com/

2114 S. Mesa (at 22nd Street), San Pedro, CA 90731
Phone: (310)-548-5348 FAX (310)-548-0374

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
You need to call Dan Dan 310-795-8978. He's the owner. There's no sign on the street. I think it's around 17th & Hayes in Long Beach, west of the 710 Fwy, just one block south of Pacific Coast Highway. Sorry I have misplaced the address.

Or Call Valerie 562-200-9108 for directions.

Last edited: