• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacement Transmission

bayhoss

Member III
After an fouling in a crab pot line it looks as if I may have done some damage to the trans. I'm left with the choice of repair or replacement. Do any of you know of a source for a replacement trans. for the Hurth on my E28?

Best,
Frank

Ericsean

Member III
Tranny repair

I sent my tranny to a quack in Massachuesets calling himself Dr. deisel, at Foley engines. Long story short, he lied, telling me my Hurth was destroyed and couldn't be re-built. Then the estimate went up to 1800 for a new replacement. Shopped around and found a guy in Washington State, & bought a new one for 1100.

This year, due to misalginment, had a repeat problem. Before anything else, I opened up the old tranny I made Foley resend to me. Only problem was a bearing on the input shaft.

Found a new bearing for $8.00 and a new seal for about 15. Cleaned it up & went back together relatively easily. The bearing is a standard type cage wheel bearing, that the guy in the auto shop thought came off a trailer.

Good Luck, give it a try.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I was looking at MER Equipment myself a while back when I thought I might need to replace my HBW50. Haven't had to...yet.

I believe the Z-F replacements are a little longer, so check your clearance, etc.

Guy Stevens

The failure mode is most likely the clutch pack system

That mirrors several experiences with Foley that I and others have experienced.

The most common problems with these units are the failure of the clutch pack. It is a real pain in the ass to get them all correctly dialed in on a rebuild. The symptoms are not going into gear, and slippage when in gear when the clutch pack is bad.

If there is some other issue, then it might not be the clutch pack system, other issues such as an input bearing are a lot easier to fix.

If it is the clutch pack system, then it is almost always more expensive to repair it then it is to get a new one. Not because the parts are that bad, but the labor to get the packs fit within the factory tolerance is time consuming!

Alignment is always key on any boat. It pays to check it no less than once a year. Besides it is one of the only things you get to check with feeler gauges and adjust with a crow bar! :)

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
When I replaced the engine in my E38 this winter I had these guys http://www.hansenmarine.com/ rebuild the Hurth trans just because I had it out. Cost was less than $800.00. They pressure test overnight to make sure it won't leak. Painted, looks and runs like new.

RT