• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacing a Port Light

view29

I have an Ericson 29, and am looking to replace the original Port Light, Starboard side over the Head (original has a slider). Looking to replace without a slider, so just a typical Port Light. Curious what other folk have done, where they've gone looking etc.

Thanks a bunch!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
On the off chance that you want a "modern" opening port, and would be happy with a used port, and the cut out dimensions are appropriate....
check my For Sale ad on this site. I still have some of the Lewmar ports off of our boat.

view29

You're right, that's a lot of ifs but I'm happy to look. But you'll have to point me there, not familiar with the site yet.

Jackfmcc

I have an Ericson 29, and am looking to replace the original Port Light, Starboard side over the Head (original has a slider). Looking to replace without a slider, so just a typical Port Light. Curious what other folk have done, where they've gone looking etc.

Thanks a bunch!
Had the same situation on my E 27. Sliding Port light on starboard side in head did not operate, and one pane was broken, see photo. Took it to Local glass store , and they removed old panes, and separator, and replaced with single pane. See photo. Haven’t re-installed yet, but looks much better. Now matches smaller port light on port side of cabin.

Attachments

• DC7D08E6-1185-4142-9B3D-32F55137A757.jpeg
    DC7D08E6-1185-4142-9B3D-32F55137A757.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 9EAC93C4-00F8-4BD5-8AFF-BE57CE90A2C3.jpeg
    9EAC93C4-00F8-4BD5-8AFF-BE57CE90A2C3.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 19

Jerry VB

E32-3 / M-25XP
On my E27, I replaced both the forward portlights with "Lewmar Standard Rectangular Size 1 Opening Portlight" They are slightly larger than the factory portlights so you need to enlarge the hole, but that is pretty easy (I used a "RotoZip" rotary cutter tool). The originals are 5 1/8" x 13 1/8". If you want a non-opening one, you can have the one in my garage (I'm not a hoarder, honest, I just keep everything).

Cutout: 13-5/8" x 6-3/4", 2-1/16" Corner Radius
Overall: 14-7/16" x 7-1/2", Hull Thick.: 1/4" - 1-3/8"
Materials: Anodized Aluminum Frame with Clear Acrylic Lens

Ref:

paul culver

Member III
If you want a duplicate of the original slider port you can have it made at Bomon (not Bomar) in Canada. I'm happy with mine.

view29

Wow, thanks for all those reply's, that's very helpful! Someone gave me great advice to find a site with Ericson owners!

Kevin A Wright

Member III
I took out the slider in the head of my E27. Drilled out the pop rivets, had a glass shop cut me a piece of tempered glass for a one piece replacement. I'd already ordered the replacement gasket from Wefco since I was redoing all the ports. Put it back together and replaced the pop rivets (use lots of hot soapy water and clamps). If I'd known a glass shop could do that for me I'd have happily paid them to do it since it's a pain in the a** to get it all back together right. Just never thought to ask.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy