• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacing ammeter for voltmeter gauge...question

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Searched but no can find. What is the size of the gauge (E35-3)..may be the same for all Ericson panels? I went to Defender and they show 2", 2-1/16", 2-1/8". My boat is on the hard at the marina and not accessible to measure. I will also buy the gauge with the matching sending unit. Thanks folks!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When our original EY-installed Newmar panel meter finally stopped working, I bought an exact replacement (expanded scale 8 - 16 volts DC).
While I have more advanced meters/readouts that give more detailed information, this is, IMHO, a basic measurement device not dependent on microchips or external power supplies.

There is no "sending" attachment. This needs only a pos. and neg. connection to the battery bank.

Note that our stock panel had a factory amp gauge that was reading off of a small shunt mounted on the DC feed on that same panel.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My guess is that the stock panel takes a so-called 2" voltmeter ( it did on my 32-3 and others). Since the recommended hole size is something like 2 1/8 or 2.13, they may all actually be the same diameter in fact.

But of course, no way to be sure without measuring your boat....

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I replaced the gauges on our cockpit panel with Faria brand gauges--they looked similar to the originals, are easy to read, seem very accurate, were inexpensive and fit right into the existing holes, and wiring connections were easy. I would recommend them, based on my experience.
Frank