• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacing Chainplates on a Ericson 41

Mike Brockman

Ericson 41
Unless intending to sailing around the world I would try to talk myself into believing that the existing chainplates, if they pass even the incomplete visual inspection possible, are probably OK, or at least close enough for jazz.

I'd remain alert to the age of the rig the same way I remain alert to the age of myself.

Unless evidence of impending failure....
I have tried that before and it doesn't work for me. I did a Pacific Cup years ago and was amazed at how every creak and groan that I had ignored before once I was 500 miles offshore (in my mind) became a impending rig failure. I don't think I completely slept for 10 days. I really need to know that the rig and rudder are good for my own piece of mind.

Mike Brockman

Ericson 41
I'd remain alert to the age of the rig the same way I remain alert to the age of myself

Well in my mind I am still 25, I don't care what the mirror says.
:egrin:<strike></strike>

gadangit

Member III
I am considering doing that. The upper chain plates line up with the main bulkhead and adding knees for the forward and aft shrouds may not be that big of deal. Do you have a naval architect you could recommend?

I know some naval architects, but they design offshore oil platforms and other non-sailboat things. Let me ask around.

Chris