• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacing Core in deck.

msc1212

Member II
Having dealt with the windows (thanks for all advice on removing sealant] I now turn my attention to a soft spot on my deck. Don Casey's book recommends that when replacing deck core you use the same material. Two questions:

1. What was the core used in an Ericson 35 MK2 from 1970.

2. Is it really necessary to use the same material. Finding Balsa core (which I suspect is the material) is not so easy where I live. Why can't I use a marine plywood?

Thanks in advance for any advice that might be offered.

Michael

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
You can order scored end-grain balsa core from various online glass suppliers like US Composites. ( i think that's the name - off the top of my head).

Emerald

Yes, US Composites seems to be a good place (have placed several orders with them, and happy customer). Their website is not their name, which can be confusing, so here it is:

http://www.shopmaninc.com/

Good luck

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

rwpajak

Member I
A word of advice. Try replacing the core from below so as not to disturbthe anti skid pattern on the top side. It is quie difficult to replace and match gel coat. I am doing this on my E26 this weekend on a spot about 18" x 8".

Brisdon

Inactive Member
Try fixing it first with penetrating epoxy before tearing the boat apart. It can be worked in through small holes on the deck above the damage. Putting the holes in smooth (rather than tread) areas makes them easy to patch. There is a procedure for geting the epoxy into the deck. Let me know if you need instructions. Good luck!

chaco

Member III
The West Systems Fiberglass Repair Manual provides DETAILED instruction
on both replacement and epoxy injection repair of cores.
Our core is balsa and the current core material used is structural foam.
I don't see why you couldn't use marine plywood epoxied to the underside
of the deck with epoxy/high density filler as indicated in the manual.
Sand Off with 60 grit and cleanup with acetone is the trick to make it STICK!

Brisdon

Inactive Member
West Systems is too thick to use as a penetrating epoxy. It can't be walked through the core while being drawn through a small hole. I like Seafit penetrating epoxy for that. The key is to glue a small length of pvc pipe to the deck surrounding the insertion hole for the resin. If you fill the reservoir over the hole (presumably you have drilled it higher than the damaged core because of that gravity thing) and then shift your weight up and down on the damaged area, you should be able to work it in to the damaged balsa inside the sandwich. You can tell when the whole cavity is flooded because no more will go in and standing on the deck will cause the resin to pop up out of the hole. One big warning though, the stuff will run out through any holes in the underside of the deck so remove all your stuff from down below. Try to caulk everything that might leak before you start. If I have a leak once I start with the epoxy, I cram a sponge against it with a stick since tape won't hold. It sounds like a gooey sticky procedure, but it isn't nearly as bad as tearing your decks apart.